1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing With A Manual

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by SNOWMAN0420, Jan 3, 2006.

1. SNOWMAN0420

SNOWMAN0420 Member

I have plowed with an auto before not a big deal, the truck ill be using this season is a manual. i've heard some stories about plowing with a manual and how its great and I've also heard how it sucks!

any stories tip or tricks of the trade

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What type of truck,plow elec.,hydro
    for 16yrs plowed with 77 chevy w/hydro fisher it worked great as you were going into the end of the run you put the cluch in gave it the gas plow went up nice and fast barely used the brake as you went into the pile of snow i'd shift into rev. Heading back i would cluch,brake drop plow all at the sme time and go.
    Now i wouldn't give up my 2002 f250 w/boss v plow.

3. SNOWMAN0420

SNOWMAN0420 Member

94 ford ranger 4.0 xlt western 6.5' conventional style

4. grandview

Don't ride the cluch also you may have to double cluch on the short runs also when you reach the end of the run keep the r's up so you don't drain the batt. just have to play with it.

5. SNOWMAN0420

SNOWMAN0420 Member

when taking off from a dead stop plow up or down?
    i drive a standard every day any differance in cluching besides double cluching?

6. grandview

What i do is clean one area first so when i backup i'am on a clean spot then you can go with the plow already down if you don't have the room just start moving then drop the plow. The smaller trucks don't have as much play as the bigger trucks do with the cluch.

7. addicted

addicted Senior Member

Don't ride the clutch! Other than that, experiment. You will quickly figure out the nuances of the truck, and then cha-chingpayup

8. SNOWMAN0420

SNOWMAN0420 Member

thanks im sure it will be pretty easy like u said i gotta play around get a natural rythem.
    we havent had any real snow in my area yet i cant wait i sure its coming soon.

9. SNOWMAN0420

SNOWMAN0420 Member

addicted where u fron in north jersey

10. SteveB(wi)

SteveB(wi) Member

I put my plow controls on the left so I can shift and raise at the same time.

11. SNOWMAN0420

SNOWMAN0420 Member

i put my to the left of the shifter when its in first the control is next to the shift knob about 3 inch away. i have cable control i wish i had the hand held control my buddy has a BOSS with it so comfortable no extra movement

12. addicted

addicted Senior Member

uh oh! competition!
    I'm in Northvale. Right on the NY border.

13. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I've owned two plow trucks with manuals. First one I swapped to an auto, the other one I sold. I think it sucks, an auto is about a millions times easier, and less tiring, and an automatic is a lot faster. Not to say it can't be done, but it sucks nonetheless. Heck, you can shovel a lot by hand if you don't mind the work, and taking longer.
    All you need to remember is that a clutch has to be either in or out. anytime it is between those two, it is making heat. Try to minimize that heat as much as you can, and the clutch will last much longer. As far as double-clutching, automotive transmissions have been fully synchronized for many years. I dont know what double-clutching would do...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  14. grandview

On the older trucks if you did a lot of short runs the clutch wouldn't engage smoothly so you had to double clutch.

15. SNOWMAN0420

SNOWMAN0420 Member

northvale nice area. how much snow u guys get yesterday? we had nothing but rain down here, fort lee area.

16. addicted

addicted Senior Member

:cry: rain rain & mo rain!

Hopefully we will gat another blizzard in mid to late january!

17. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i plowed with a lil chevy s10 5spd it was great (1996)

but

i plow with a ford f350 dump 4spd and it sucked (1986)

18. SNOWMAN0420

SNOWMAN0420 Member

yea that sounds good, my dad works out in west jersey warren county area he got about 8" this week im about to move out there.

19. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

i've always had autos in the past but this year have a manual. I noticed a few times that i was paying more attention to the plow than I was to my rpm and how much I had the clutch out and was problaby slipping it a little. and by the time i'm done with a lot my leg could use a rest. I usualy let the pile stop me at the end of a run like someone else said. I can also hold my controler in the same hand I shift with and do both at the same time.

I don't really think one is better than another and pros and cons ith each so it's all personal preference. some poeple like the contol of a stick some liek the ease of an auto. mine is a stick cuz when i bouhgt my jeep I wanted a stick and now almost 2 years later decided to put a plow on. I didn't buy a manual with the intention of making it a plow vehicle.

20. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

no offense but i dont thinj you know what double clutching is. it is used to shift unsychrnized transmissions between gears matches engine speed to road speed nothing to do with clutch engaging smoothly