1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with a manual trans

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by optimax, Sep 23, 2010.

1. optimax

optimax Junior Member

Does anyone have experience plowing with a manual shift trans?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Many of us do, myself included

3. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

Most start that way if you are old school...I don't plow manual but have driven daily that way since I was 15 and a half. I would recommend an automatic transmission because manual isn't bad...UNTIL...dun dun dunnnn....the 16th hour you've been plowing non-stop. It saves tranies though. Although I'd rather save my knees. Good habits when you drive will keep an automatic going for ever. It's things like shifting while still moving the opposite direction, and rocking the truck that kill trucks...my father does both and costs me more money than anyone I know! (or at least he will when he finishes off our z71). Never tranny brake either....needless to say tho...its just stupid.

4. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

If Thats what you have and you want to plow w/ it, it will work fine. Just behave w/ the clutch. My big red ugly truck has a man. 5speed. This is handy because If I break a trip spring on the plow I can just take the clutch spring to replace it DOH !

5. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

Haha funny you mention the dad thing. My dad still seems to thinks he's running a enduro race.:mechanic:. He gets it done though.

6. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Do a search!!

7. TreeClimber57

TreeClimber57 Junior Member

Yep.. careful use of auto will make it last a long time.. although personally I do normally prefer manual 5 speed. (but it can get tiresome after long days)

8. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

I plow with a manual, just converted my truck from an auto to manual so I could plow with it.... I like it alot better then an auto

9. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I started plowing with a manual. Actually my first 3 plow trucks were sticks. But the older I get the more I like automatics. I'm to old to keep pushing that damn clutch in.

10. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i plow with a manuel, love it. my dad on the other hand wont even move my truck or get in it. he also loves plowing and every time i plow the driveway hes like a lost dog in the front window lol. like others have said you take care of any tranny and it will do the same back!

11. Mr.Freezzz

Mr.Freezzz Member
    from Utah

Manuals are great. But if I had tons of cash to always buy the best, I would always run a allison auto. Chevy the Heart beat of America.

12. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

Converted mine to manual after the auto went out. Manual is the only way to go.

13. second income

second income Member

Auto trans, 4 wheel high, and fish stick style controller

14. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

my jeep is 6 speed manual. only downfall is after big storm your leg is sore!

15. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

you get used to it after awhile

16. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I have a manual in my dump. It's really tough to pull long hours though. I have two seperate sticks on my right, to operate the plow, (up/down & left/right) then the stick shift. Sometimes I think it would be simpler to fly a helicopter.

17. RIVERVIEW7

RIVERVIEW7 Member

yea i have a pickup thats a stick and it has the old western cable plow

18. second income

second income Member

Riverview- That sounds like my first plow truck 1967 F-250 stick manual brakes and steering equipped with meyers t-5 pump and 7.5 plow older guys will know that the t-5 was just raise and lower! Thats when plowing was work and shoveling was almost easier!

19. RIVERVIEW7

RIVERVIEW7 Member

That truck seems to make the snow storm last even longer when your tired.,

20. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

My 95' rust bucket of a dump it a stick. Honestly, driving both that and the auto in the 03' on 24 hour shifts the stick is easier of the right arm. It is much easier having your arm lower and moving the stick from 1st to R then constantly putting the shifter from D to R. The manual is much more smooth and efficient overall.