1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a manual tranny

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jg244888, Feb 10, 2009.

1. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

How unpractical is it to plow res with a manual transmission? I'm currently looking at a 1999 f250 the only thing I'm worried about is that.

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

3 of our trucks are manual transmission, lots of guys stay away from them, but weve had no probs, doing commercial or resi. They are slower in reverse, but on a resi drive that shouldnt be a issue

3. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

does it ware much faster?

4. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

use the search button and LOOK!!
    this is a GREAT cite USE IT!!!!
    there is a good one that i sent to my boss and he's like "Man I wish I had that info when I started!" and he's been plowing for 30 years or so.....

Dan

5. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I think it would be horrible to plow all night/day with a manual with the ridiculous amount of shifting involved. My right arm and left foot would be trashed by the end of a shift.

Plowmeister seems to like it though..

6. augerandblade

If you know how to use a clutch properly ..........no. We dont even use the clutch between low and 2nd gear as we (just as in the big trucks )are able to syncronize the shift.

7. augerandblade

It doesnt take much effort to push the clutch pedal, and if your able to syncronize the shifts you get away with that much more.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

yea...well it doesn't take much to just buy a truck with an auto in it:rolleyes:

9. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have used both...really it's about the same all comes down to what you prefer. Clutch is usually cheaper than a rebuild on an automatic transmission when it goes out, I would rather have an automatic just because its a bit less fatigue during a long storm and such

10. augerandblade

tymusic:salute:
    Each to his own. I have 5 Chev plow trucks. Last spring I wanted to get another chev with a manual tranny. Well Chev whose going down in a handbasket dont offer a manual in a 1 ton single axle truck up here in Canada. So for the first time in my life Im the proud owner of a Dodge. I just prefer manual trannys. Its got a 5.7 with 6sp .I do a lot of trailer hauling in the wilds of Northern Ontario . That 6 speed got the gears spaced apart just perfectly.

11. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

What he said.

12. Dirtboy953B

Dirtboy953B Senior Member

Hands down manual all the way,I've got two fords with manual trannys,my 96' has almost 300,000 on it on the second clutch and it's always had a plow on it.Also have a 99' psd and at 40,000 it's on it's 3rd auto tranny.It's nice to shift from forward to reverse,or reverse to forward while you are still moving,do that with a auto and it won't last to long.With the hydro clutchs it todays trucks clutchs pedals are really not that bad any more.I've been in a few 24-30+ hour plows with my 96' f-350 and it's really not bad,you have to shift a manual the same # of time's as a auto plus I have the plow controls mounted on the shifter so it's right where you need them

13. augerandblade

My thoughts exactly...:gunsfiring:

14. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

once you get used to plowing with the manual you dont even notice your shifting anymore, i prefer the manual for plowing and towing.

15. augerandblade

One thing I like about the '
    Dodge tranny . is that in my truck witha 5.7 it has the same tranny as you would get with the CTD dually they sell

16. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

nice, i blew the clutch out of my truck 2 years ago and bought an upgraded bigger clutch, had to resurface the flywheel to accomidate the larger disk, its the best upgrade i have done to the truck.

17. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

Been plowing for 20 years. One of my first plow trucks, 78 Chevy K 10 was an auto. I had it rebuilt it lasted about 100 miles. I swapped it over to a stick. Used a stick for many years. I bought a 91 Chevy 2500 4LD80E trans. Second week I owned it it went out. I pulled it, my buddy rebuilt it, never had anymore problems except the out put shaft broke a few months later. Trans still worked once that was fixed. Got rid of that truck have had sticks ever since. 84 K 10, 86 K 20, 79 K30, 86 K 30, all sticks. I have bad knees,
    ( Skiing ) my left one bothers some after a big storm. I don't use the clutch when driving. Shift without it. I do 35 to 40 referential's per storm. I don't mind them at all. the 84 K 10 has over 80,000 miles on the clutch. I put it in the year before I bought the truck. Put a plow on it first week i owned it. the 86 has about 30,000 on its clutch. 79 has about 600 miles on its clutch. When I bought it it was slipping due to a rear main seal leak. The 86 has the clutch in it that was there when I bought it. I am on my second year plowing every storm with it. I have all new linkage for ti as the old stuff is pretty worn. But will probably wait till the end of the year to put it in.

18. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

My first Dodge was a Stick. if you know how to drive them it actually better than an auto. But if you put Yahoo's behind wheel who dont know how they will burn them up fast. If you are use to driving truck and a standard all the time you wont notice it. But if you are a guy that owns an auto and hops into plow for a night with it. You will be soar!!

19. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

I had a 76 crewcab 1 ton dually 4 speed manual the 1 st gear was slow but with alot of torque. It was good in my lots, but for driveways I prefered an automatic.

20. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member