1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a lifted Vehicle, Possible?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Liftedandlocked, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Liftedandlocked

Liftedandlocked Junior Member

I am about to buy a co-workers truck. 2004 toyota tacoma 33 inch tires, 6.5 inches of lift. I am still deciding between this truck, and a jeep cherokee, but within the next couple days will have a new vehicle.

Question is can i plow with a lifted vehicle?

I contacted Snoway, and they said that as long as the frame isn't higher then 10 inches above the ground. But there application doesn't use drop chains or anything like that. They have they're own special system going with down pressure ability and such.

I am not sure about other companies. But i have been an offroad fanatic, and looking to make some money plowing out, a couple friends little bussiness lots.

Any suggestions ?

2. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

"uni-mount" style should go on that toy just fine plow frame will be low to the ground and will! affect your approach angle.
  3. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Plowing with lifted truck

I have a 2004 Tacoma (my 5th Tacoma plow truck) with a Western Unimount frame on it and you will need to do some work to get it to work with a lifted truck. You won't have nearly enough slack in the lift chain to scrape well. The mount frame will destroy any approach angle that you have for the front. Western Unimount really hangs down but so does all of the other manufacturers. Maybe the Curtis is closer to the frame but nevertleless on a Tacoma (or a Jeep) they all seem to hang down too low for off road use...

If you have access to a fabricator I have drawn some plans on how to modify a Toyota Unimount frame mount to make it off road friendly. It is a bit of a project though. but I hope to have a prototype done by spring. It will allow the truck frame mount to be split in half for the off season and allow a skid plate to go back on the front to protect the IFS guts.

Jeep Cherokees are great 4 wheelers but not so good for a heavy plow cause they are unibody.

Unless you are getting a Rubicon or need a full size truck go with the Tacoma. You can't beat the rice burner's reliability and with some weight in the bed and some real skinny snow tires they can really move some snow...
  4. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

If I was in your shoes i wouldnt drop the mount, Id rather raise the tabs on the sector itself to correct the attack angle. The only other thing you might have to do it to change the chain to a longer one.....Rob
  5. Liftedandlocked

Liftedandlocked Junior Member

Back to my question..

I gave this all some thought, and also did some looking around..
    Seemed like the answer i found was that it is possible, but with lsome modification to the plow frame, and that it could easily bend , if not taken easy with it.

Also the fact that with a lifted vehicle, if the plow is lowered down, whether it took longer ldrop chains or something, then a problem you would have is if you angled the plow it would try to raise one end of it right?

As far as the plow frame hanging down low, i wasn't to worried about that figuring i would be removing it after winter, and mounting a winch and bumper, which i dont think you could have both at the same time.

However with all this talk, i have heard the tacoma with the trd setup, has a pretty good suspension, and that with a good size body lift i would then be able to fit some bigger tires in there...

Thanks for the replies....

6. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Back to your question

Sorry for rambling in my response but you got it - you need to modify both plow and truck mount to make it work with a lifted truck.... Anything more than 3 inches won't work with the Western Mount (the only one I have experience with)...
  7. zippoz

zippoz Member

odd i have one of the older style westerns, i mean real old a 6.5 and its on my jeep which is lifted, but even with the lift, the weight of the plow drags the front end down one hell of a lot