1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with a lifted truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bigpapawack, Feb 5, 2010.

1. bigpapawack

bigpapawack Junior Member

i am looking to get a new truck and i found a crew cab 8ft bed silverado diesel. question, besides the length of it, it is lifted 6" and has 35" tires, is it possible to put a plow on this? i am a sub contractor right now for a few commercial accounts and a few side driveways

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I would think that you would have to make a custom mount to be able to fit properly. I have a 2008 Ford F-250 that has a small lift and 315/75/17 tires on it and with the stock mount it works like crap with the plow... I am planning to get a different truck already:jester:

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The mount is a problem. You will need to lower the mount to keep the correct attack angle on the plow. Further more it is a pain in the butt to see the top of the plow. You will still see the side marker flags, but actually seeing the plow becomes almost impossible when you have that much lift. The one advantage is your truck will run cooler, lol.

4. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have the same problem you can't see the plow at all, with the blade down all the way it's hard to even see the marker sticks that Western provides from the factory with the plow.

5. bigpapawack

i can barely see the plow when its down on my current truck right now to and it is stock height. i always relie on the side markers or else my head is out the window. i can only imagine how cool it would run! if i found a plow and a mount I'm sure someone that is good with metal work can make a nice looking extender for it that can be bolted on and always removed?

6. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

I plowed for years with a K20 that had 10" lift and 36" tires with no problems.

7. bigpapawack

How was your plow mounted? Was it removable?

8. lumps

lumps Senior Member

There's a guy around here (I think he's on plowsite actually) that runs an F350 with what must be close to 2' of lift and plows with it. The mount is definitely custom, haha.

9. bigpapawack

Is there a picture of it or a photo gallery with a user name?

10. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

My truck has a 4" lift on it and I plow w/ a 9'2" Boss VXT, I never did any mods. I will say there is deff uneven wear on the edge...but to me, I'm used to it because I tend to mostly roll to my left, which I always did w/ my straight blades, which showed the save uneven wear...only prob is these edges are a bit more $$. I got a quote to have the mount lowered for around $600, does this sound about right anyone?

11. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

With a lifted truck you can either lower the mount or lengthen the tabs on the A frame where the A frame attaches to the headgear on chain lift plows.

If you cant see the blade when it is down, it doesn't matter cause all you need to see is the blade guides so you know were your corners are. For instance, if you see a big dozer such as a Cat D8, 9, 10 or 11 when you sit in the seat of that dozer all you see is the corners of the blade and that is what you watch.

12. bigpapawack

Where's the headgear on the plow?

13. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Head gear is the lift tower, different people call it different things. I should have said where the A frame pins on to the push bar below the lift tower.

14. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member