1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a lifted truck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by KrazyPlow, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KrazyPlow

KrazyPlow Junior Member
    from utah

Hey, first of all i am very new to this. I own my own landscaping company in Ga and we do maintanence installs and anything that has to do with landscapes.

Its just me and one other guy, we are liscenced and insured.

Well i have a couple buddies that live in park city utah, and i'd realy like to go out there for the winter, so i figured i'd buy a plow and make some money while i'm at it. Hopping i can make enuff to bring home in the spring and buy a couple reel mowers, haha.

anyway the truck i'll be using is a dodge 2500 cummins diesel 4x4, and its very big, lol. It has 46" millitary tires on it. I know its possible and can be done. I'm just wondering if anyone has made custom drop brackets for their plows?

oh yeah where can i get custom chains made for my tires? i know i saw a unimog with 46" tires and it had chains

Any info and pics would be great...info on what kinda liscence i need and etc to run a plowing bussiness too.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Where are you? You say that you have a business th GA but your profile says Utah??

If you are already have a registered business and the proper Ins then you should already know what you have to do.
    You will probably need to be licensed in Utah too...

Why do that to a work truck?
    That drop hitch is down right scary also.
    Sure hope you don't pull anything other than a small single axle trailer with that.

IF.. you have a landscaping business why lift your truck like that?
    It makes it unusable.

Why, ho why do they think it is so cool to lift a "work" truck like that?

Yes, it can be done but it will defeat the reason for the lift and foolishly big tires in the first place

Why do you need a lifted truck to do landscaping?

JMO and just asking a few Q's

Hey welcome to plowsite,
    Sorry to piss on your pride but eater have a play truck or a work truck. Trying to make a play truck into a work truck just does not work.;) Pick one.
    Hint, you need 2 trucks one for work one for play..

P.s. They don't recommend plowing with a quad cab oil burner....
    But if you still insist ditch the "military" tires and opt for some stock rims and tires. they should be listed in the door jam.
    Those tires will 2uck in the slush and snow.

4. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I def wouldnt reccomend plowing with that truck, you wouldnt even see the plow on it and it would take a lot of fab that would most likely be permanent and pretty ugly.
  5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

LOL.. NO WAY,

1st you need pizza cutter tires, or ur gonna just float on top of the snow and slide around alot,...
    Chains on a truck? i dont know what ur plowing , but id be tearing up my customers lots with chains

U JOINTS - omg, because of ur lifted trucks Ujoints are already stressed way out form having a steep drive shaft angle,..... add a plow, and i think you will have to replace them each time that you go plowing... I go thru a set per year , at least... yours might last 8 hours

you can plow with a lift, but its not good to do, keep this in mind.. a low truck has the plow frame "in line" with the frame of the truck, so when you hit a curb you do not bend anything because the force is applied as a compresstion force with the steel

If you have a "dropped" plow frame, most likely, it will become bent, because the force is applided as a shearing force against the part of the frame that provides the drop
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe with a 4-6" lift I'd say it was alright but not with a14-18" lift. I wouldn't even drive my truck with those tires on it in the winter, no matter plow with it. I guarantee you'll will wreck more stuff then the money you make. JMO
  7. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

When he said "lifted" I automatically thought of a setup like your truck. Anything over 6" is just plain:dizzy:
  8. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

Yeah a guy I know has an F 350 thats lifted 6 inches and he plows with it, but anything more than that is just out of wack.
  9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Forget what i said before. Buy a new Snoway Revolution, i'm sure they'll give you a great deal on it because your truck will be one big moving billboard.:D
  10. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

:eek::eek: I wouldn't recommend plowing with that truck either for the same reasons that others have expressed.

Find a different truck and then buy the Revolution would be my advice JD. ;)
  11. KrazyPlow

KrazyPlow Junior Member
    from utah

Yes i live in ga

I want to move to utah for the winter to make more money. i love snowboarding to.

I would be park city utah where it snows everyday and lots of it.

the reason i put utah in my profile is so people will know where i'm talking about plowing

The reason i want to plow snow is becuz i want to get out of ga for the winter and snowboard, i love park city, brighton and all those places.

i don't think the landscaping is go to make much money this winter becuz of the economy and the serious drought we are having. Landscaping is a "WANT" plowing snow is a "NEED". plowing in park city is kinda like a tree business when a tornado comes thru.

the reason i think my truck would be good. Since its realy big and noticable, everyone will see it and my decal with my number on it.

I saw a unimog with my exact tires with chains goin thru the city of park city doing just fine. i know they were my tires cuz i stopped and looked at the rig. a unimog is alot bigger than my truck and the frame is probaly about the same height too.

MY TRUCK is only lifted 10" with 46" tires. So the COG realy isn't that high for the tires i have. To tell u the truth i think my truck would tip after a stock truck would.

i have driven my truck thru about 4 inches of snow on top of wet ground to pull a 4runner out of a ditch and i did it in 2wd. this was NOT in ga btw. i don't think i would have been able to pull him out in 2wd if i had stock tires...i also went and drove thru the ditch he was stuck in and got thru just fine in 2wd as well.
  12. festerw

festerw Senior Member

You're comparing apples to donuts, I love Dodge but they are nowhere near in the same class as a Unimog.

Dropping a plow frame 10 inches or more will put extreme amounts of stress on the truck frame.

Wide tires with huge solid tread blocks are terrible for snow, skinny siped tires are preferable.
  13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have lived out west.
    Been there done that.
    Hint if your going to live in Utah then spell it right.;)
    Take it from me those tires are going to 2uck, Big-time;)

Think Pizza cutters and 1k of weight in the box located at the tailgate.

Ditch the lift
    Ditch the tires.
    And you will have an O.K. plow rig:waving:

LOL, Do you have any idea how much Uni-Mog weights?
    he he just the uni-mog's axels weight as much as your truck....lololol
    Your not even close to being in the same class with your 2500:D

But your going to do it anyway?

Lol I'll show that snofarmer...lololol
  14. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

If you plan on plowing more than a couple of driveways, don't plan on doing much of anything else. I live less than 5 miles from a ski area, and didn't go once last season. If I wasn't plowing, I was sleeping.

Your truck will probably be fine to plow, hell, I saw a Subaru Forrester w/a plow, however plowing stresses the truck a lot, and w/a large lift, you are already stressing those points to begin with. Plan on spending a lot of money fixing things that break.

As Stroker said, you won't be able to see where your plow is, as it will be hidden by your hood. When plowing in tight areas, you NEED to be able to tell exactly where your blade is. A plow can and will cause a lot of damage to whatever it hits, even at very slow speeds.

I don't know what kind of fuel economy you are getting, but expect it to drop in half at least. Plan on burning at least 4-5 gallons of fuel an hour while plowing (I go through 2gal/hour in my stock '07 F250 Powerstroke)

Also, don't forget to put enough weight in the back of your truck. With that setup, you'd probably want a minimum of 1,000#.

For the money you are going to spend buying a new plow, having everything modified to fit, plus all of the parts you will probably have to replace, you might be better off buying a used plow truck.

Good luck, and if you do put a plow on that bad boy, make sure to post some pics!

15. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

16. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

17. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

correct me if im also wrong , but almost every lift that i have ever delt with has VERY SOFT suspention, to allow the axle to travel and absorbe shock... take a guess what ur front suspention is gonna look like with 850LBS hanging 4 feet out frount.... then put 1000 in the rear...

heres another point... you do realize that you would have to buy a plow that was at least 6 inches wider than you tires,,, as measured when the plow is angled... So my 8 foot is bearly big enought on my dodge.... Im guessing that you would need a 9 foot

Pulling a four wheeler is nothing like plowing snow.. it requires lots of traction..and lots of pushing power.. when you added ur larger tires... did you change both ur front and rear gears too?
  18. KrazyPlow

KrazyPlow Junior Member
    from utah

sweet...who makes that plow.

i was actualy thinkin about a boss or western V plow.

Yeah i know this truck isn't the best truck.

I did it when i used to work for a landscaping company and drove there trucks

then i started my own company with a buddy. we normally use his truck to pull our trailer. its a f250 diesel on 38's

TRUST me i would sell my truck if i could get what i owe on it. But when diesel is 5 bucks a gallon i don't think i'd have any good luck.

Well i appriciate all of your comments. But i am definately goin to try and make it work. i have buddies that can weld and have plasma cutters so making custom brackets won't be a problem. i just want to see if anyone else has done it.

I can easily put a 1k lb weight in the bed of the truck. I'll just load it up with salt.
  19. KrazyPlow

KrazyPlow Junior Member
    from utah

i pulled i 4 Runner not a 4 wheeler...lol

i am puttin 4.56's in my truck by the end of the month

my springs are rated pretty heavy...if i have to i'll trim the fenders more to clear the tires
  20. KrazyPlow

KrazyPlow Junior Member
    from utah

i pulled a 4 Runner not a 4 wheeler...lol

i am puttin 4.56's in my truck by the end of the month

my springs are rated pretty heavy...if i have to i'll trim the fenders more to clear the tires
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.