1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a lifted truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dobronos, Jan 22, 2013.

1. dobronos

dobronos Junior Member
    from Ohio

I know this has been talked about in the past. I'm looking for a more recent response to my question. I have a 1999 Chevy 1500 3" body lift, 4" suspension lift, 35's on it with 5.3 v8. I believe the truck has the power to plow, I'm just worried that the plow wont be able put enough force to the ground to scrape? What do you guys think? - Mike

2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

It shouldn't matter you set the plow frame at the same height as you would a truck that wasn't lifted. That is the only way to get the right angle of attack. You should have no problems if installed correctly

3. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

Watch your tranny temp, lugging the bigger tires and pushing wet snow can be a problem.

4. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

I plow with a lifted truck and have for years. I have a fisher straight blade and modified the mounting ears. Works great. Switching to a 9'6 v soon.

5. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

It would be more work to make it work right than a stock truck. But anything is possible with fabrication skills or access to a decent welding shop. Like another said, the bracket height has to be mounted within the plow's recommended specs. to make it plow correctly as well as to be able to mount & dismount. Frame brackets vary from brand to brand. Some, like Boss allow some adjustment. But probably not the 4"-6" you may need. Roughly, you can plan on lowering the mount the same amount of inches you have in lift/tires.

6. gtmustang00

from Berlin

I would rather modify the plow than the truck mount for when the plow isn't mounted. Would rather not have a low mount.

7. bigdeezle442

bigdeezle442 Junior Member

you shouldn't have to modify much of anything, i had a chevy 2500 hd with a 6 inch lift and 35s and made it work with the adjustment that the plow had. It really wasn't that much different in height than my ford f550

8. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

:mechanic: i got a pair of custom 6 or 8 inch drops made for Meyers e-z mount classic they are made to fit in stock mount with pins and they drop down and you plow pins to them they worked great for me on a lifted Chevy. very heavy duty custom fab no junk I'm in Ohio 45601 740 649 8015 this way your truck mount is up where its needs to be ussmileyflag

9. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

The Fisher's are easy to modify for a lifted truck, I did the same thing with the mounting ears for my 85 K20 with 4" lift & 35's.

I removed my A frame from the plow and took it to a welder, it cost me $30 and took maybe 20 minutes to do.

10. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Yea. A couple pieces of metal, 2 new holes, some welding and bang, level again!

11. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Body lift can be ignored altogether, it has no effect.
    Suspension lift + increase in tire RADIUS. This is how far you need to adjust down the mount points.

Also note that the higher your truck is, the harder it will be to see anything in front of you.

As mentioned, if you are running factory gearing, you may have trouble turning the bigger wheels. You can either gear it down (if not already done), or only plow in LOW RANGE.

12. gtmustang00

from Berlin

What plow are you using?

13. dobronos

dobronos Junior Member
    from Ohio

thanks for the replies guys! I really don't know which plow I want to go with.. I have most of the major plow dealers around me.. What would you guys recommend to go with in my situation? I'll mostly be plowing small residential driveways. - Mike

14. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I have a buddy with a cummins, 6 inch lift and 37s...he has a 8'6 fisher v plow. He doesn't have any problems but I don't know how he can even see anything.

15. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

my recommendation would be a boss blade.

I do mostly small residential driveways. I have a super duty 8' straight blade.

I'm actually in search of a standard 7'6" v blade around my area I can either trade or if I can sell my blade for around what I would need to pay for what I'm looking for I'd do that as well.

I feel I'd do less back dragging on shorter driveways with a v blade as I can just pull right in and push most of the snow to the left and right.

16. dobronos

dobronos Junior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks guys, I just talked to my local scag dealer who also does Boss plows. They said there will no problem and they will be able to adjust/modify the mount. Thanks for all the help. - Mike

17. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I don't have that problem, as long as you can see your blade guides he'll be fine.

18. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 Senior Member
    from Ma

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonv
    Also note that the higher your truck is, the harder it will be to see anything in front of you.

Been plowing with a lifted S.D. / Boss v-plow for many years now and the visibility is far better than a stock truck !! I have never had a single problem with the truck or the plow/mount, it now has 170k miles on it. :drinkup:

19. djr623

djr623 Member

20. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

I plowed for years with a 79 K20 that had 10" of lift and 36" Buckshot Radial Mudders. I had a modified plow frame with a Meyers E47 pump and a 7' 6" Western blade.