1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a lifted jeep?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by landscapingpoolguy, Oct 21, 2003.

1. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy Junior Member

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone plows with a lifted jeep? although my jeep is more of an off road toy, I have been thinking more and more about plowing with it. I was wondering if it would even work though. Iits a 2001 wrangler sport with a 4 inch lift and 35 inch tires. The front end does have a custom arb bull bar and winch but it can easliy be removed to intsall a plow for the winter. would the jeep be at too high up of an angle? would the plow even touch the ground? I figure the custom bumper and winch ad at least 150 lbs to the front with no sag in teh springs. Any info would help alot. I can also include pictures if yas want to see it.

Thanks

Chuck

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Do a search,it has been discussed many times.Whatever you do,you must make sure you have the a-frame level with the ground,or close to it.Otherwise the angle of attack will be incorrect and it won't plow worth a damn.

3. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

If you plow with 31x10.5's it will drop you about two inches + the weight of the plow itself will give you something right? 1-1.5 in. I'd love to see that thing with the 35's and plow mounted at the same time---It will be beautiful.
    I plow with a six inch lift on my dodge but half of that is body. If you do it, good luck and post some pictures.

4. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

that and get some smaller tires for when your plowing.

5. landscapingpoolguy

i have a dodge ram 1500 also ...i wast just wondering if it were possible to do with a lifted jeep. and all my lift is suspention too

Chuck

6. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

Anything Is possible just depends how much time and money ya want to put into it :D

7. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

If it is too high you could have the plow mount lowered and get a longer chain for the lift/lowering of the blade. Do you have the gearing to plow with the larger tires? I think I would want something in the 4.56 range, or keep it in 4-low.

8. landscapingpoolguy

still stock gearing...gonan get 4 10 prolly next month

9. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

I just use 2wd in light stuff and 4-low for heavy stuff and it works ok with too tall gears.

10. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

You will probably end up building a custom mount, so that as Wyldman said, the A frame is level with the ground. You will then have to add some support beams that go farther back on the frame, or the plow will try to push under the truck. Post some pics:yow!:
    Good Luck :salute:

11. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

:nod: If the A frame is not level with the ground when you angle the blade left or right one side will want to come off the ground :mad: Even with a little lift this can happen.

-John :cool:

12. penberth

penberth Member

I hang out a lot on www.jeepsunlimited.com and surf the Cherokee and Wrangler forums. Every winter, people post about using Jeeps to plow with. Anyways, I did come across some people with lifted Wranglers and plows. Here is one of them.

jeepwithplow.jpg

13. penberth

penberth Member

Here is another. Notice how the A-Frame slants down towards the front? This will cause the plow to trip forward when it encounters minimal resistance. (ie...snow in front of blade, etc.)
    What would need to be down is to lower the mount...somehow.

hansen02.jpg

14. landscapingpoolguy

i think lowering the mount would increase the chances of the mount breaking..unless it had like a 2x4 box steel spacer in between the mount and the frame with some seriously thick grade 8 bolts......just a thought

hey im one jeepsunlimited.com too. sn is jeepandpoolguy

later

chuck

15. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

JU member here too "Hubjeep"

-John :cool:

16. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

It can be done if your handy with a welder and can fab a little than no big deal if your using a western the plow mount bottom side measure to the ground must be around 9-11 inches i have had to do this on a couple of trucks we had that either had been lifted or like are 97 f350 sat to high period , the plow mount measurement from ground to bottom of mount is a must if you want trouble free plowing.

17. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

" It's a Jeep thing, I dont understand"

but seriously I plowed with a 78 bronco last year and it had about 6" of lift total and 35" tires, I had to build a custom mount. I will try to find a pic, but remember that if you drop that bracket then you will have more leverage to bend the frame. I am scrapping the bronco because I left the mount on and it cought a stump while offroading and stopped the truck instantly, bent the frame real bad too