1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with a lifted 1997 f350

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by marylandbigb, Oct 27, 2010.

1. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

have a 97 f350 4 inch suspension lift and 35's anyone have any issues plowing with a lifted truck will it work ok or does the plow frame need too be modified plow is a straight blade 8' meyers thank you

2. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

I don't know the answer to your question.. but I just think it would look terribly unprofessional

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I'd atleast drop in back down on stock tires for plowing. It'll help with the height issues and also help with traction as well.

4. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

35s are small on these trucks so it wouldn't look too bad....but narrow tires are better. 4" lift isn't terrible either as most stock trucks made now are like a '97 with a 4" lift. The plow frame may be an issue though because any upward angle will screw up blade angle and will cause heavy snow to lift the front end. I had a lifted truck a while back and modified the plow frame to get the angle where it needed to be.

-Phillip

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

you will probabily need to modify the push bean height

6. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I had a 96' that was lifted 4" & ran 36's on it. It pushed just fine but you really need to drop the mount or else it will not clean very good at full angle, plus it is easier on the framework.

7. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

I will echo what most everyone else has said, you need to drop the mounting frame so the A frame isn't sitting at an extreme downward angle.

8. 01lariat

01lariat Member

Drop the plow mount. Boss mounts, for instance, were very easy to do. I did it for a friend, making the hardware myself, with a similar truck spec, and it worked out wonderfully for him. His V plow looks proportionally acceptable to the truck and the truck is about unstoppable. About the only thing I don't like... Getting in and out of it. After an all nighter, it is a long fall out of the truck. : )

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  9. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

why is that? as long as the truck is not a rusted sh(tbox.

4" lift and 35's My dads truck
    [​IMG]

10. gtstang462002

That cutting edge looks to be at too much of an angle. Most of the plow companies out there are talking about a 70 degree attack angle for a reason. The angle on the plow here is closer to 80-85 degrees.

11. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

I took the plow off now cause he never used it anymore but I'm not under standing why a well kept mildly lifted truck is unprofessional.

12. gtstang462002

I have nothing against a lifted plow truck, I was only pointing out why the plow frame needed to be dropped on a lifted truck;).

13. mace14

mace14 Junior Member

I have a 1999 ford f-350 with a 6.5" lift and 36" tires is it possible to put a plow on a truck this high? I have had a plow on a 4" lift with just a lowering kit but i have never tried a truck this high. Any info helps.

14. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I take it u have never seen an x blade or extreme v attack angle?

I plowed with my 97 f350 with 4 in rough contry lift and 35in tires. Plowed awesome no problems With a fisher minute mount.
    I love the look of a lifted truck!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  15. gtstang462002

I guess you have never read the specs on those blades. The X is running a 75 degree angle and the extreme V is running 70 degrees. But what do the engineers that design these things know.:rolleyes:

16. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

For optimal performance I think you may want to have the frame bracket fabricated downward to bring back into the ballpark. A downward pointed plow trips under load easier & the effects the parallel to the ground under full tilt right/left. Most plow manufacturer's have a height specification on their bracket. I have 6" lift on my truck and had a fabrication shop modify the frame bracket downward for $245.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  17. mace14

mace14 Junior Member

Thank you for you help....Do you have any pictures of your truck with the plow on or of the lowered frame bracket?

18. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

All wich have plowed excelent on my trucks. I have had them all.

19. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I can send you some photos by PM. Granted mine is a chevy & hiniker so it's not really comparing apples.