1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a lift?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by The Duke, Feb 27, 2008.

1. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

Anyone plow with a lifted XJ (Cherokee)? I am considering putting a lift on my new XJ, but don't want to screw up its plowing ability.

Also considering the possibility of a plow on my YJ to use as an emergency backup, but I have about 5" right now and will be adding another 3" over the summer(body lift, so that shouldn't affect anything.) Anyone have a lifted YJ or TJ?

For lifted trucks, will the plow dealers install/fab a correct hieght mount for them or do you have to figuree something out yourself?
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have a TJ with 4 1/2 lift I used a fisher RD plow for 4 years just fine. I now have a Boss 7 1/2 V with my custome mount works fine. I'll never go back to a strate blade.
  3. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

Ideally, you are going to want your a-frame to be parallel with the ground. The more you lift the truck, the more downward angle it puts on your a-frame. This is fine when plowing with the blade straight but when you angle, the side comming back toward the truck, is also comming uphill on the a-frame and off the ground.

If you're good with fabricating you can either raise the pins on the a-frame itself, or lower the hitch point on the truck, or a combination of both to get to where you're a-frame is close to level. It doesnt have to be perfect because there is a little give with the plow and the suspension but the closer the better.
  4. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

OK. How would I keep my front end from sagging to the ground. XJ's have coils up front, so they are going to sag alot with the wieght of a plow, I think.

Mostly worried about getting the XJ setup. If I do end up putting a plow on the YJ, I have an old set of heavy duty lift springs that are really stiff that I would swap back in for the winter.

I know you can do airbags, but they are expensive and I don't know if they would work with a lift.

I'm considering a Rusty's 3" or 4.5" lift, but would not do it if it will cost seriousmoney to get a plow to work with it.
    I can't fab anything myself -- I can't weld, nor do I have any other equipment. Nobody makes ready-made mounts for lifted trucks? I would imagine that could be a good business.
  5. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Do some homework and find out. Call around. Check Craigs list for plows for sale. If you find a few for sale from the same guy he likely works on plows on the side and might take on a project like this.
  6. daaboss

daaboss Junior Member

I would like to hear from you with an update to see how your Boss has worked out on your Jeep. The Boss site indicates your V-plow is over 730 lbs. I can't figure out how your Jeep can handle that much weight out front. Your feedback would be interesting to read.
  7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

This is going to be a long post and much of it Ive covered in my other posts.

No your not going to put this or any real plow on a stock jeep.

I plow 98 Driveways each storm. I don’t do it for Beer money, I do it for a living. I use a jeep because I can double my income over using a truck. (I used to use a truck)

I go to the Boss sight and see #700 for the plow. For over 20 years I've used Fisher 7 1/2 RD plows. They weigh #630 plus #60 for a back drag edge + #30 for a snow foil + #50 for a cutting edge.

I use air shocks up front with 145 PSI and #500 lead rear bumper insert. I have a #3500 F axle and a Dana 60 rear axle with disk brakes. I made the truck side Boss mount and I beefed up the jeep frame. I am geared for 33" tires 4.56 gears and to plow I use 31" Blizzak tires (don’t tell me your brand X all season or mud tire work as well, your full of sh**! and have never used a specialty snow tire.)

I check the front end before every storm. Not the night before, 2 days before (got to have time to fix anything I find). I grease the front end every 2nd storm. I get 100K on wheel bearings 20~30 k on tie-rods 100K on ball joints. new U-joints 1-2 years (I also do extensive off roading with the jeep).

As for how its working...
    I love the V wont go back to a strait blade.
    I love not having a lift chain ( up is instant! less scalped lawns).
    the smartlock works well
    It can STACK snow
    the scoop makes clean-up much faster.

I don’t like the full blade trip. For one thing it dose not trip enough to go over the obstacle. I hit a basket ball post that was cut off about 1 inch from the ground. While the blade tripped it did not trip far enough to release from the obstacle, so the jeep came to an abrupt stop and I mean abrupt.
    I don’t like the center puck for blocking the snow at the V crotch.
    I don’t like that the hoses, some have different ends, so you cant use 1 hose as a spare.
    when angling especially with a snow load the blade dose not stay even. IE the side coming back will come ALL the way back in 1/4 second while the side going out can take 5 seconds.
    The Boss stick IS HUGE no place to put it
    the touch pad is to sensitive brushing against it will move or drop the plow.
    I don’t know about all controllers, but Fisher and Boss controllers have the up-down backwards. In planes and RC planes (which I fly) you push the stick forwards for down and bull back for up. I re wired my fishstick to run the Boss.

I am going to make an adaptation to use the smart-hitch to apply down-pressure for backdraging.

I hate typing or this post would be MUCH longer.