1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with a Lift gate

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snowaway, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Hi guys, I was wondering if anybody else had ever plowed snow with their tommy gate. I thought it would break but it didn't. I started out last year just doing a couple of freinds places with it, managed to pay for the truck, Of course I only payed 400 bucks for the truck. Seriosly though it did a darn good job, just slow. worked good for moving large burms also. Just drop it down and back it under the pile:)
  2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Thats the first time ive heard of that before!

And no, ive NEVER seen someone try to plow with thier tommy gate before

MAR4CARS Senior Member

First i ever heard of doing it with a lift gate.I don't think its a good idea as 1 the gate isnt designed for that.2 you can easily damage the lift gate by hitting something now your stuck with a lift gate on the ground.
  4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

That's a terrible idea!
  5. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

This has to be a joke!
  6. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Sounds like a great idea to me. You can plow mailboxes, road signs, parked cars, and all the while no wear and tear on the front mounted plow.
  7. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

No joke realy did it, I thought it would break as well but it held up for the winter without a problem. I am not suggesting it for anybody, Just thought some of you would get a laugh out of it. Also remember I only had 400 dollers in the truck, sold the truck in the spring for a thousand. And yes the gate still worked perfectly. unfortunately It wouldn't fit on my new truck so I had to buy a plow. HA HA
  8. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Ok, I thought this was a joke. How did you "plow" with a lift gate? You lower the gate to the ground, backup pushing the gate under the snow and then what? Lift if up and dump it into the truck bed? Plus, aren't the controls for that thing mounted to the back of the body?
  9. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

I left the gate in the vertical position and lowered it down to the ground, then get back in the truck and push, all in reverse of course. I found it faster just to drag it back through the section I just cleared than to bother lifting it up. Definatly not the most efficient tool but you got to start out somewhere.
  10. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

wow, I thought that this thread was about visibility with a lift gate or the extra weight, not actually plowing with it! I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.
  11. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

12. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

that's what i thought!! really i was gonna reply as i plow with a truck with a lift gate not with the lift gate!! . unbelievable!! all i can do is laugh........now i can't stop laughing!!!!!!!!!!!ha-ha-hhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa
  13. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I wish you had some video of your lift gate in action.
  14. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i wanna go buy a lift gate just to try it out:jester:
  15. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

better yet why don't you mount the lift gate to the front of your truck!!LOL
  16. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

He must have some good SMOKE......
  17. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

back when i worked on semis some of the drivers would clear snow with the lift gate on the trailer. guess the plow guy did not realize that a big truck needs room to back up and make delieveries.
  18. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

what he said
  19. Indy

Indy Senior Member

What THEY said:rolleyes: