1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a k10 frame

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chillerq, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Chillerq

Chillerq Junior Member

Im thinking of putting a plow on my 1973 k10 step side for next year. How do you guys think the frame would react to pushing parking lots and such. I do mostly commercial plowing so the truck would need to be able to withstand the abuse. Talk Away!

1973 stepside: 1ton military axles locked front and rear, 427 big block, tb400 tras, np205

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Get the steering box reinforcement plate.

3. Chillerq

Chillerq Junior Member

Im currently building this truck for off road purposes (should be done by summer of 2011), I already have the plate, brace and engine cross member form ORD. Im worried about bending the frame with pushing big piles... I wana put a western V...think it would handle it?

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Box in the front half of the frame. I assume it isn't going to be a crawler since the suspension would be way too soft to hang a plow on it.

5. Chillerq

Chillerq Junior Member

springs are 8inch lift for a k10 body truck...
    I know my k20 doesnt move much with a plow on it. but, this truck is gonna be my baby and i would really like to have a vplow on her. If not i will settle for a 7.6 with home made wings

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

www.ck5.com for great info on these trucks.

the frame will hold up good if braced good. but watch the stock engine crossmember . the 73-mid 80's has problems cracking out.

and ord is good stuff i run every truck i do a ord steering box bolt in brace it works.

and 8" lift for plowin way to high for any real easy of plowing. i got 4" and 2" body with 35" tires and am redoin the truck this summer and dropin the 2" body so i can see the blade better.

also locked front and rear you might not like that for snow plowin. you will be slidin all over the place vary easy. selectable lockers would be better so you can use them when you need it. and turning full front locker axle can be super hard. most need hydro assist ram kit.

sounds like you need to pick plow rig and or off road . that combo for both will be a bit of a streach. and the plow frame will need full custom fab to drop low to get correct angle on the plow blade. then need easy removale for offroad or you will be getting hung up a lot.

anymore just ask me here or ck5 same screen name.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  7. Chillerq

Chillerq Junior Member

I have the crossmember ive talked to steve at ORD my frame is built in the front lol As for plowing I would much rather throw a plow on this truck then go out and buy another. And its a tru track up front and a govlock in the rear so they are only locked when one wheel spins. What size plow do you think I can put on (realistically)

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

That frame will not bend it will crack instead. The power steering box bracing is a plus but as stated before some boxing will be required. I had to do this to mine years ago, see page I made for this. It plowed 5 years after that without any probs. Truck is since gone.
    http://www.tjsperformance.com/framecrack.htm
    T.J.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  9. Chillerq

Chillerq Junior Member

TJS,

Thanks im not putting a plow on after seeing that, the frame is already sprayed in IMRON and im not sanding that stuff off to box the frame and re spraying it.

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

thats a real rare spot to brake tho. i seen lots of 4x4 hard core offroaders twist the crap out of there frames. never seen one blow out there. thats bad,.

now the steering box area seen them blow that out a lot with out the bolt in brace.

and puttin a plow in a truck with 8" lift just not worth it. your center of gravity is way off and its not fun like that,.

11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Hahaha. Blow out is right. I could not even steer this thing.:D
    T.J.