1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a half-ton

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by coolgreen, Oct 1, 2003.

1. coolgreen

coolgreen Member

Are there any half-tons that make a good plow truck?

I've been searching for a three-quarter ton with no success.

I'm trying to find a good F250 or equivalent for about $15,000, but every truck I find has more than 200,000 kilometres on it.

Half-tons, however, are a dime a dozen in my price range. I found a nice Dodge extended cab, but I've heard they are not designed to carry a plow.

My current truck is a 1989 F150, which I've had nothing but problems with. My M50D five-speed Mazda tranny is the latest thing to go, so it's time to shoot it to put it out of my misery.

Since I mainly plow driveways, I think my only answer may be to buy a Jeep TJ and go for a 6.5-foot Western plow.

I can get a decent, low milage Tj for about $13,000, but it certainly isn't going to do me much good during the landscaping season.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I had decent luck in your situation using 2 different f-150's, one was a 89, and the other was a 95. The 95, had a 7.5 meyers on it. Plus I went to the local spring shop, and had them get me a set of lift springs that also had a higher rating. The truck was good, no sag and did the job just fine for driveways. I also boosted the rear leafs to.

Good luck

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd try to stay away from any Ford F150 (or even F250's) with the TTB front suspension.They don't hold up well with a plow hanging off the front.

I'd go with the 1/2 ton Dodge.It's really a pretty beefy truck,and has a good strong D44 solid front axle.
  4. shoctor

shoctor Junior Member
    from ny

Agreed stay away from the Ford 1/2 ton for plowing you will be replacing everything soup to nuts in the front end plowing with it. Truck was not designed to carry a plow. I would stick with a dodge or chevy in half ton and should be fine. I am running a 99 silverado with the western proplow (heavy and truck does just beautifully) Would recommend a western or fisher plow dealer up here for myer stopped selling because he had too many problems with them. Fisher and western have parts avail just about ewverywhere and now are interchangeable for the most part.

5. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

The ford F-150's can handle a plow but arent going to handdle the plow as well as a ford f-250 or f-350. if you hafto get a half ton get another Ford and get a 7.5 plow. beef up the suspension and get timbrens for it
  6. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I had a 96 ram 1500 extended cab with a boss 7.5 HD. I put timbrens in the front . It did go through a tranny but that was caused by the jerk who was driving truck. Other than that it was a great plow truck.
  7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again, my half ton truck plows awesome, for what I do with it. Driveways are no problem and small lots are no problem. I wouldnt expect to go do HUGE shopping plaza parking lots with it, but then again a 250 or 350 wouldnt be suited for those types of lots either, thats where you need some big heavy duty equipment, or ALOT of smaller trucks. It really all depends on what type of plowing you plan on doing with it. Since you are just doing driveways, a half ton truck would be more than enough, in my oppinion. A Western plow is a great choice also by the way. Welcome to PlowSite! Mike :)

DAVE IN BUFFALO Junior Member

no trouble at all

I have a 1993 f 150 1/2 ton. Put a set of timbrens and a set of air bags in the front coils...7.5 meyer on the front..never had any trouble..Of course, you have to plow easy with it. I angle as much as possible. I have a Ford f350, and I too plow easy with it. I have a Case loader and a 12ft snow box for the heavy stuff. I'll tell you 1 thing....the f 150 does just about as good as the f 350! It burns a lot less gas too. The f 350 is a lot more truck, but I'm serious...the 150 does just fine.
  9. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I used to have a 1993 bronco with a 7.5' meyers and it was a good tight area truck but the tranny went in the middle of a storm:mad: ,but I think it went because of the driver beating the crap out of the truck.You should be ok.
  10. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

HI I used to have a Dodge 74 half ton it has 3.55 axel gear, it did plow just fine. but now I am using a Dodge 74 3/4 ton with 4.10 gear axel it is very power full to plow anything deep..

a repair engine in a 4x4 dodge will do great job.

my truck.

11. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

Coolgreen i dont know how flexible your buget is and i really dont know if iam allowed to do this but if your willing to spend another 5k US ihave a 00 f250 xlt 24,000 miles on it with a 8ft western unimount the truck is in perfect condtion it was my personal plow truck since i brought her home in oct of 99 if interested email me

ps 5.4 v-8 410 gear color red standard cab
  12. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

Check your "Private Messesages".

13. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Do a search on half ton truck. It has been discussed many times in length. The search button is located on the top right corner of the screen. Also be sure to check out Chuck's FAQ. I think he have this topic covered too. By the way, welcome to Plowsite. :waving:
  14. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Half ton truck is a lot stronger than a jeep. I wouldn't plow with either though. Just My Opinion.
  15. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

I see lots of 1/2 tons around here with 7 1/2 foot westerns on them. mostly dodges. I agree with Wyldman, go with a dodge, as they have the solid front axle. If it has high miles be prepared to do front axle u joints. We had ours go on our 97, and a buddy of mine had his go too. Don't forget to swap in some stiffer springs for the 1/2 ton.
  16. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Snow Jaw, what kind of plow is on your truck?
  17. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

i have 87 dodge 1/2 ton and that truck is a grunt in the snow.very happy with it...
  18. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I love 80's dodge trucks!:cool: and 90-93 too.