1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with a half ton yes or no

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by wes nichols, Jul 18, 2009.

1. wes nichols

wes nichols Junior Member

I am thinking of puting a plow on my f150 it has a 5.8 but i have heard mixed fellings on if i should or not i am onely planing on plowing my drive way.
  2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

For your driveway go ahead and do it. Just make sure you buy one that is not too heavy. My dad has a light duty plow on his Yukon to do his driveway and it works great.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Bigger is always better, but you'll be fine with a plow matched to the truck.
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

There are dozens, thousands, even hundreds plowing with half tons. Just doing your own driveway you will be fine. What year is your truck, does it have TTB?
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

what front axle does it have? what's the GVWR? Any of the 1/2 tons should be fine with the right plow. The heavier the front axle the more choices you have.
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use the search function on the gray line above SEARCH "plowing with a half ton".
    It's beat to death every year. I bet 1/2 the small plow trucks in the world are 1/2 ton's.
  7. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

f 150 will be fine for your own drive and occasional buddies. any 7.5 plow should be fine.
  8. bguzz

bguzz Junior Member

I plow my 500ft gravel driveway and my neighbors 800ft drive with my 93 F150 and I have a 5.0 in it. I am using an old fisher speedcast plow 7.5ft. Works great with a few hundred pounds of sand in the back.
  9. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Lots fo people plow with Rangers, Jeeps and there is some guy here who plows with a fwd station wagon.

A half ton truck is fine for personal plowing...so long as you don't put too big of a plow on it or beat it to death.
  10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I have to big of a plow (9.8ft with wings) and plow to much with mine. They hold up fine as long as you know what you are doing and don't try and run with your right foot glued to the floor. I just have 3/4ton suspension and a big trans cooler, otherwise my truck is all stock. I don't even have a posi traction in my rear axle.