1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a half ton pickup truck

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Crewcutlawncare, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Crewcutlawncare

Crewcutlawncare Junior Member

Is it worth placing a 6' Boss Plow on a 94 Nissan Pickup Truck? This truck is only rated for a half ton. I don't know if I get a transmission cooler, and a snow plow prep package if it is worth it, or save my money and hopefully get a new dump truck in a year or two. I plan on using this for commercial use. I was also planning to put a set of timbrens on both the front and back of the truck. the website is: www.timbrens.com I suppose they are to stabilize the truck. I am also going to place a spreader on the back with a side swing, so that I can put the tailgate down and unload my 2 snowblowers.
  2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Personally I would say to get a heavier truck. For driveways it would probably do OK, but for larger lots it is really going to struggle. As for the spreader I have hitch mounted spreaders only. The swing away mounts are nice but the spreader must empty prior to opening. If not the side of your bed will be bent. I use smaller single stage blowers, Light enough for one person to lift in and out of the truck, big enough to do side walks. Anything bigger gets plowed with a truck!!!:)
  3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

If you have the truck already use it. but if you are looking for a truck than buy a 3/4 ton or bigger. I personally have used both 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton which in the past i had to call in my 3/4 to push some very heavy snow that accumulated but other than that i use the 1/2 tons for both comm, and res.