1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with a gmc yulon xl 1500

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by scash77, Feb 22, 2009.

1. scash77

scash77 Junior Member

I was wondering if its a good idea (or possible) to plow with a 03 gmc yukon XL? I plan on just doing driveways and small lots. What would be the right type of plow? what size? would I have to alter my truck at all? shocks? tires? anything? any answers would be appreciated.
  2. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

you would need to go with a western midweight, a boss sport plow and i forget which snow way. they are all 7.5ft plows and are basically normal size, just lighter and not as sturdy as their heavy duty counterparts. you wouldnt have to do anything to the truck but i would reccomend a set of timbrens on the front to keep the front end from sagging too much. maybe a couple hundred pounds of salt or sand in the back also as ballast.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

^^^what he said^^

get insured and I recommend around #600 ballast depending on your plow....that's just a good amount of ballast for halftons.
  4. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

I have the short yukon, a 4 door 5 seat, and the one thing i would complain about is rear visability, I like to be able to see out the back, and alot of times at night its really hard to see compared to a regular cab pickup. They do make reallly comfy plowtrucks though, mine is an SLT. Agree with the guys above though still put lots of ballast, and get the lighter plow, I have a unimount and it sinks the front end hard even with the t bars cranked. Another thing to consider is yukons sometimes have highway gears, so I plow in 4 Low alot.
  5. scash77

scash77 Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback, SVEN did you alter anything to your yukon before you plowed with it? (heavy duty springs). Are the stock tires ok for plowing?
  6. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

The torsion bars are cranked on mine, and the guy we bought it off of says its got heavy duty front shocks (dealer so you know he's full of sh*t) and it still sinks the front end really hard. I have a steel unimount though, I think it would be the Pro plow. If you're going with a midweight plow I'd think you'll be good. My stock tires are garbage, but they probably arent what was supposed to come on the truck new, I'm pretty sure its a load range C michelin. What tires do you have on yours? Despite th yukons weighing more in the rear end, i still carry probably around 500lb in the back to keep it a bit more stable. Again my only real complaint is rear visability, mine has barn doors so theres no rear windshield wiper just defrost. BIG mistake. Also if yours has the 3.42 highway gears like mine I would just plow in 4 Lo unless its light snow.
  7. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Only problem is like already said rear visability. 8' blade no problem for yukon xl