1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a GMC 5500 anyone???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ServiceOnSite, Feb 9, 2014.

1. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

I did some looking around and havent found anyone on here that has one ( or i just couldnt find ) they use for plowing.
    Im going to be making the switch from my GMC 2500hd diesel to a GMC 5500 4x4 diesel.
    I was just looking for some input on what you guys liked or hated about plowing in them. Anything you had to mod or recommend modding on these truck thats a must. I figure in the bigger scheme of things i over work the piss out of my 3/4 ton was too much and this thing would take the abuse alot better.
    The truck im going to be picking up is a 2006 5500 4x4 crew cab with a flat bed on it. All the gauges, tuner, exhaust, and wheels have been upgraded.
    The flatbed will be coming off before spring time, and a dump body will be going on. I will also be in the market for a stock bumper as i know a boss plow wont fit on around this.

20131228_115543 (800x450).jpg

2. pinepointe

pinepointe Senior Member

Man I love the truck, it is a beast. I have never plowed with a 5500 but I have spent many long days in a single cab international single axel dump, which is about the same size chassis. Your 5500 is just a little longer. I will tell you for big lots were you don't have to worry about a lot of tight space backing they are great. I figure your rig has the big auto tranny which would be better than the manual for plowing. You need a knee replacement after a big storm in that 9 speed. Good luck make sure to keep us posted as you get it ready to do battle.

3. GMC Driver

GMC Driver Senior Member

We used one in the fleet here for about 6 years, and you won't find a truck that is more capable IMHO. It worked really well for us plowing and spreading salt. It limited us in the summer months, so we bought 2 other dedicated dumps for our landscape work (older and larger) and now use a tractor to do the plowing the 5500 did.

I always enjoyed plowing with it - had an 8611 on ours, and it was a beast to plow with. I'm sure you'll have the same experience.

4. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

A company I used to plow for had one, the guy who drove it loved it. He just wished the markers were a little higher so he could see it when it was down and angled. I guess he couldn't see the passenger side edge of the plow if it was angled back towards the truck.

5. ServiceOnSite

So nothing negative or bad to say about plowing with it??? I was hoping for a little more feed back. Its always my luck when i try something a little different that everyone comes out of the wood work with something after the fact.

6. maxwell1027

maxwell1027 Junior Member

I have plowed with a lot of different trucks and a 5500 has a lot of power. But at the end of a long day you will be more tired after driving a bigger truck...they don't ride as good or handle as good as a smaller truck. Your turning radius is not as good as a smaller truck but it will work great in larger lots. it's a little harder to find those curbs and gutters because your vision is kinda limited....also watch out for those little cars that pull directly behind you because you can't see them as well as you can in a smaller truck. One more thing...if you would happen to get stuck...better call for the Big Hook! Just my two cents worth.

7. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

I have been plowing with our 4500 last 3 years. I love it and actually don't like trying to plow with a regular truck after being in the 4500. Excellent turning radius and visibility. I fit ours in all kind of parking lots. It has a single cab, 12ft dump, and boss 9.2 v. It is 2wd but with some weight in the back I've never had an issue. I'm sure you'll love that 5500, looks sweet!

8. bel-nor

bel-nor Member

Ok I feel a bout of impedence coming on...ok it's an advanced case...damz

9. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Been plowing in my 4500 for 3 years now.No comparision with a pickup or 1 ton dump. Fisher 10' mc blade and a undertailgate sander.It's a tank.You sit up nice and high,great visibility.Turns on a dime.Nice cab,rough ride ,parts a little tough to find at times.I've got the 8.1 (496) and get an impressive 5.5 mpg with a stiff tailwind!

012.jpg

013.jpg

10. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

We had at onetime a 4500 reg. cab 2wd with a boss 10' straight blade & a 10' dump & the same truck but 5500 4x4 with a 10' boss vee both were duramax Allison's. They both pushed like a beast, however the 5500 Turning radius and ride sucked. Ever guy that pushed in both always way preferd the 2wd including myself.

11. LON

LON Senior Member

Have built a few for municipal customers. They all would buy another if they were still built.

CERES TWP 3.jpg

DSC00222-1.jpg

DSC00521-1.jpg

12. LuckyPlower

LuckyPlower Senior Member

We run a 5500 4x4 as well. Like others have said, great visibility to the front and it's a tank. With the increase size it's harder to do tight small lots, which we don't do. We have an 8611 on it and most of the time it doesn't even need to be in 4x4. I know you are looking for negatives. Can't think of any. Solid plow truck. I'm sure you will be happy with it! keeping it working year round is key.

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We have an 06 with a 9'6" Western. You need a commercial plow like a 10' Boss. Easy to tweak the Western.

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

That'll be a pretty sharp truck with a few changes.

On you're way through northern, IL with it, stop at Duramaxtuner and have him put Efi-Live on it and ask about enabling the 6th gear in the trans.

15. Mattguy

Mattguy Junior Member

Bought my 2006 4500 2wd new and wish they were still made. Definitely hold there value to. Paid a little over $42,000 new. Looking for a second one now, due to we plow 27 miles of city streets. With salt spreader in back loaded this thing doesn't move.

16. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

my buddy must have bought a lemon, it seems like he rebuilds the front end of his 5500 every year! He has the same guy drive it every year too… he has a 9.5'V with wings on the front of it and a huge sander in the dump bed.

17. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of wing is on that yellow one with the Fisher EXV?

18. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

awesome to hear, we are in the same boat…we have a 2004 TopKick and are going to put a plow on it eventually…it's 2wd…obviously haven't plowed with it, but i can say this, it has the sharpest turning radius out of all of our 3/4 tons and awesome visibility…very large rear window

19. ServiceOnSite

The other one im looking at now is a 2008 4x4 and comes with a PPE programer. The 2007 and up i think comes with all 6 gears. Ive always been a fan of EFI live.

These trucks do hold there value like all hell. Can touch a low mileage one for under 40k.
    I do have a 10' Boss v lined up for it already. I put a good hurting on a 8'2''v with steel wings with my F550 plowing roads and so on.

20. LON

LON Senior Member

Henderson Products out of Manchester, IA. Really wasn't made for the truck but I made it work. Quite a bit of mods to the framework to make it work. Twp loves it and have done another since.