1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with a f250 6.0L diesel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by treesnsnow, Oct 25, 2010.

1. treesnsnow

treesnsnow Member

I have plowed for the past 3 years with a 2005 f150 ext cab short box with a 5.4l engine and have been running a 7'6" snoway plow without a problem. I am looking into a 2005 f250with the 6.0L crew cab short box. is there anything different i should know about plowing with this truck or with a diesel. i do plan on running the 7'6" snoway for this year as well if that matters. any imput would be great

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Turning radius isn't as good as the gas, and it's a long truck!

3. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Why is the turning radius any different than the gas?

4. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I wouldnt buy a truck with that engine in it. That 6.0 has a bad reputation. Im sure there are some good ones out there but I wouldnt want to find out the hard way I have a bad one.

5. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

heres a pic of my old truck same as what your looking into [​IMG]
    only thing id be worryed about is breaking your plow, 8000lb truck and the power of the diesel you can break stuff quick. as for the 6.0 mine was sold in feb this year with 115,000 on the clock it now has 140,000 and still runs like a top. any diesel newer then the year 2000 has a chance of being a money pit with all the epa crap, if ya want the power of a newer diesel its a gamble ya gotta be willing to take

6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

With my experience plowing with the 6.0 I dont like it at all. The boost takes so long to come in the truck seems underpowered. Also when coming up to a curb and slowing down to lift the blade over it the truck loses power and wont want to push the pile over the curb. I like the trucks and the one I drove never had any major issues yet was one of the hated plowing trucks in the fleet. The owner liked it though.

Sorry that was hard to follow and maybe didnt make any sense :dizzy:.

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Makes sense- the turbo lag of the 6.0 sucks for plowing in your opinion.

8. ajslands

Because you don't have coil springs, you have leaf Spings.

9. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

turbo lag? yea if your dragracing not plowing snow You will only feel turbo lag when you have your foot 2 the floor. Idk about you but I'm paid by the hour, I plow In 2wd most of the time and never feel the turbo boost unless stacking snow.

10. plowguy43

The 2005's have coil springs. The turning radius will be worse because its a much longer truck.

11. ajslands

That must be the year they stared the coil spring because my 04 has leaf springs. Plowing with a crew cab is just like plowing with a long bed. I believe it's 17' long.

12. ajslands

Why do you need the turbo for pushing snow?

13. ajslands

I got a good one! 04 though. Only had one problem and that was the alternator at a 101,000 miles so it wasn't under warrenty :(

14. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Because you don't have 2 extra naturally aspirated cylinders? :D

6.0L isn't a bad engine if you work it over right with the right mods, OP. Just find one with a good history.

15. plowguy43

I agree with Pinky- there must be a reason you see so many 6.0's running around on the road for companies. Not all of them are bad, and I'm willing to bet money that a majority of them have been trouble free. Run a safe tune, delete the EGR and I think you have a solid diesel on your hands.

16. A&MLANDSCAPING

A&MLANDSCAPING Junior Member

you take care of a 6.0 it will take care of you ya theres some bad ones egr delete and head studs it should be ok

17. ajslands

It is a great engine! Besides alternator at 101,000 miles.

18. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Turbo lag? 6.0's have low end boost. One reason you can hear the turbo at idle. When you mash on it from a stop light not under a load, yes, there is a little bit of lag. Under any load, they spool instantly. I'm not one to brag much on Fords, or 6.0's for that matter, but they plow great b/c of that, not the opposite.

19. plowguy43

I noticed that too especially compared to the 7.3's. The turbo is spooling all the time it seems.

20. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

NBI lawn was feeling the difference from the straight 6 to the v-8. the cummins makes much more torque form idle till the turbo spools vs v8 diesels. not bashing anything just telling the facts:drinkup: