1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a Explorer

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by schlimmy, Mar 3, 2008.

1. schlimmy

schlimmy Junior Member

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer and i am thinking of doing my own plowing next winter. My lot is parking for 20 cars and a driveway about 30 x 120 ft. I would have to backdrag the first 15 ft of the driveway. Now, can this vehicle do the job? If I have to buy a bigger truck it would not pay unless I buy an older one with all the trouble that comes with it.
    The reason I want to do this myself is I'm sick and tired of explaining what I want done to a contractor and then have him subcontract to someone else who does his own thing.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Not all contractors are the same. But to answer your question. Yes it will. Check out the plow dealers websites and see what they offer.

3. stroker

stroker Junior Member

There is no reason why an Explorer couldn't handle a small amount of plowing like that.You'll have to keep in mind you're plowing with a rather small vehicle and be sure to plow with the storm so you don't find yourself biteing off more than it can handle. Also keep in mind that model is known for front suspension issues so don't drive around much with the plow on when it's not needed.

One other thought, some guys won't listen to what you want, some will. You may want to get recommendations from friends or other businesses in the area for some added input from someone they use as to what you're expecting. Try to get a guy with one or two trucks. Sometimes they are more receptive to following requests and a little better at communicating with you than a larger contractor but there may be other reasons why things are not done the way you expect them .

Sometimes the expectation is 'don't hit the grass' .... then after a half dozen snowfalls it's, 'hey, your not doing your job right, my driveways too narrow '. I've also had the opposite,,,,'I want the drive open, push those piles back' Do that once when the ground is soft and the same poeple are wondering if I was asleep at the wheel when a 6'' strip of lawn along the edge of there drive gets torn up.. . You really have to think about what is expected, how the storms have been in any given year and go from there,,,, Good luck.

Just my opinion but it seems better to some research and find out first before you take the time effort and expense only to find out you can't do the job any better than a guy that does it for a living.

4. iowaplowboy

iowaplowboy Member
    from Iowa

Explorer?

Boy, do I know that one. Explorers, though, are nutorious for weak transmissions. Not really equipped to push anything, even though 4-wheel drive.

I got rid of mine (actually, wife's) and bought a really UGLY old ford truck. Moves snow like there's no tomorrow, if you can stand the ugly. Parts are cheap, though I haven't needed any.

I don't care for the Meyer blade, though. Think I'll switch next season and put on a Western.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

The explorer you see to the right belongs to one of our site superiviors. Its a V6 with 178,000 miles on it. It has no problem pushing that 7'4" western surbanite around, along with my Western 500 spreader on the back. All we have done to this truck was crank the front end up 3 turns, and put a set of load helpers to handle the spreader. The first storm this winter, the only plow that went out was his, as everyone else just brought spreaders for the "dusting". We ended up getting 5" of snow. While everyone was scrambling to get our plows. He end up plowing about 12 acres total of roads and parking lots during 19 hours of the storm. Not one problem from the explorer or plow.

There other two trucks are my babys.

plowlineup.jpg