1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a Durango

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John DiMartino, Mar 3, 2000.

1. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I am looking to replace my wifes minivan,and she wants a Durango,I want to buy a new Tahoe.She has to drive it so I think I will be giving in.Gotta keep my 89 GmC,and 84 S10 though so I will have something reliable to drive while the Durango and Ram are in the shop,LOL.Anyway,I think the only plow that it will take is a snoway,because it's already nose heavy with 5.9 V8.I just want the plow for a backup and for driveways,since my 84 S10 only has a couple good years left before the fenders fall right off,along with the bed.I will buy plow then.I know it is not the ideal plow truck,but I need a vehicle that I can use the rest of the year,and it'll fit in garage,and be easy to park.It's gotta fit my family of 5 and have room for a couple more in a pinch.Anyone know someone with one,are they OK,any alternatives that arent bigger on outside?It has to be able to tow my boat to,at 4500lbs.I dont ask a lot of my vehicles,do I?LOL<p>----------<br>John D<br>

2. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

John,<p>I have two friends with Durangos. They both love them. Strictly used for everyday drivers/shuttle for the kids. I have put about 100 miles on a 99. Loaded, leather,5.9, and some factory add ons. Truck drives nice, seems solid, plenty of power. The 5.9 is a little thirsty though. I'm sure you are familiar with the 318/340/360 family of small blocks. The only weak points were the cheesy timing chain/gear setups. They hopefully use steel now or the double row the 340 had. Otherwise they ran forever. <p>I beleive both of my friends paid over $30K for them. Both are SLT's loaded. Both are owned by women, I see more ladies driving them than guys around here...seems to be an alternative to explorer/expeditions. Better looking in my opinion too. How they would work plowing? Don't know, visibility in the right rear is tough, same as any SUV. Maybe you should find out what the front axle is, if ya don't already know...I don't<p>Dave

3. John DiMartino

The front end is the same IFS with aluminum center as the dakota.The v6 dakota can handle a snowplow,even with the excab,so I think its the v8 weight.The snoway dealer says he has done a lot of them and they plow great.I am considering the 4.7,it sounds better and screams up top,but the bottom just isnt as strong.I think the 4.7 is as quick as or quicker than 5.9 from seat of pants,2mpg better with 4.7.I think a new Tahoe will beat them both with a little 5300 and 700 extra pounds.Wake up Dodge,get a real gas motor.Wife says Tahoe is to big,but she fights for keys to my Xcab,lwb Ram,go figure.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

4. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Is the 4.7 a new motor. Not familiar with it. For pushing snow and towing the boat I would rather have the 5.9. Is the 5.2(318) still available, or did the 4.7 replace it?? As far as size, it is a fairly nimble machine, just like the Dakota. In between the mini's and the expeditions/tahoes. The tahoes are real nice also. <p>Either vehicle would suit you well, as a backup vehicle. Maybe what she prefers is the best answere.... Am I trained or what??.. LOL.. Just hide the keys to the Ram....<p>Dave<br>

5. John DiMartino

Dave,she took the liberty of having her own keys cut days after I bought it.She bought the nice seat covers and monster down pipe so I guess I dont mind.She parks it away from cars so no one dents it.<p>----------<br>John D<br>