1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a diesel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Lynden-Jeff, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Got a few questions for you guys that plow. I have seen that it is not recommended by ford that my short box super cab be used as a plow. I know many guys do but is there anything that will help ease the strain? What type of springs does a diesel 04 F250 come with? Is there any point in putting in the "x" springs I hear people talking about. The plow I'm putting on weights 613 lbs.

My next question is in regards to power supply. So far I will have the plow, 1 dual halogen rotator beacon, and some serious backup lights (4 55 w/halogens) and a tailgate spreader. Will the truck be able to handle this stock? How do I calculate my available usage?

Thanks for the input!

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I don't believe that any truck is suppose to have a plow on it. All I know is that that is just what they say. I have a Ext. Cab Short Bed chevy with a Duramax and a 8.6 ft uni-mount with no HD suspension up front it works fine. As far as the electrical stuff you are more than fine, Diesels come with the biggest alternator and 2 batterys stock. You can run what you got and more. If you ahve a problem, tag in another battery or two for extra storrage of power so you dont strain the alternatior so much, that's what I do and it works good.
  3. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

I have an 06 F350 Supercab Short Bed with a Blizzard 810 Power Plow .... It weighs about 900-1100lbs. I think you will be ok. Just put some weight in the back of your truck. I put about 1200lbs of salt it is ok to start but when I have no salt in the back the plow frame hits some entrances going in and out. But overall you will be ok.
  4. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

i have an 99 psd with western mvp its a supercab w/ the short box plowing is fine in it . 04 truck still had leaf springs fronts . ballast is def needed if not your rear will never hooked up for all that low end gunt tires will keep spinning and spinning if have a limited slip it helps but add like 800 - 1000lbs or more with some good tires and your set . your stock elec. system will be fine diesel have alittle higher output alternators but on fords if want you can run dual alternators . alot of tow trucks and that have duals always replace the batterys in pairs and make sure there up too it in cold mornings .
  5. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

You are beyond fine with that. You can put a 800lb plow on a 1/2 ton.
  6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have a '04 F-250 Powerstroke and it holds my 7'6" Boss w/ wings fine. I think the weight of the plow is about 835 pounds. I carry atleast 600 pounds of salt in the back end at all times, but it is usually more like 1200 pounds.:rolleyes: When I have that much in, the front end sits up in the air with the back hanging. The 2004's have leafs up front so they just cant carry as much.:)
  7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Darn i thought they had springs. Is there anything I can do to stiffen the front suspension. Will timbrens still work with leafs?

8. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

You wont need timbrens. I have a 8.2 boss V on my 03 f250 and the front spring are the 5200# springs which are the soft ones and the front end only lowers a 1/4" with the plow up. and I think the plow weighs arounf 950#s. I am looking at putting the airbags up front but mostly for leveling the truck out when its totally unloaded. either that or the X springs. But you will be fine with the springs you have, im sure of it.