1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a diesel and with a crew cab tips and advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by treesnsnow, Aug 28, 2011.

1. treesnsnow

treesnsnow Member

I am a small tree service and i just bought my first diesel this summer. i love the truck so far its a 2006 f250 crew cab short box, i have been plowing for 5 years now with a 1/2 ton ext cab short box, with a gas engine. I do about 5 residentials and two small commercials. plus my parents my own and a friend or two now and then. my two questions are the following:
    1. whats the differance or what to look for with plowing with a diesel compared to a gas.

2. did i make a mistake buying a crew cab and not an ext cab? (all of my residentials are straight drives) only my parents is in a shape of a U

thanks in advance
  2. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Not really too much a difference. Only big difference you will notice is the turning radius. Diesels are great to plow with. I run both gas and diesel and i like plowing in my diesel better.

You will be glad you have the crew cab. So much better than a ext cab in the long run. Only 2' difference between the 2, so not big.
  3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Plowing with the diesel will be so much better than plowing with the gasser. You will use a lot less fuel and you barely have to work the engine unless you have deep heavy snow. My biggest concerns when plowing are trans temp and engine temp. They've gotten fairly warm a couple times during big heavy snowfalls when I'm on a parking lot, but never have I had to stop to let it cool down.
  4. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

Anti Gel Thumbs Up
  5. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

Buy fuel from reputable locations. Thumbs Up

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

You may have to plug it in if it's real cold
    Put some weight in the rear for ballast. With the added weight of a diesel
    Compared to your gas truck you will notice it's light in the rear
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I plowed with a ECLB, it will be about the same. If the U drive is small, it will be almost impossible. Some tube steps would be wise to help protect the rockers and door bottoms in the tight spots.

Get some wings for the plow, will help alot.
  8. treesnsnow

treesnsnow Member

I was thinking about adding the wings to the plow and i already has the running boards so i should be ok there. The u drive way is not that small their house fits in the middle of it so there has to be about 50 feet between both ends of the u