1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with a club cab or reg cab

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by stiffs_00, Dec 14, 2009.

1. stiffs_00

stiffs_00 Member

what are your thoughts a bout a reg. cab truck w a 8' bed vrs a club cab with a 6' bed ? plowing ? circles ? tight areas turning around ?

2. tuna

tuna Senior Member

They are close in wheelbase so i don`t think there is an issiue with either truck.

3. jbone

jbone Senior Member

I agree but I always favor the reg cab long bed for visibility.

4. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Stardtard cab short bed or extended cab 5.5ft bed. Oh wait no one makes that truck in a 3/4 or 1 ton. That why Ive been looking for a mid 90's f150 so I can get a standard cab short bed with locking hubs.

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

My 99 2500 is a crew cab short bed. The only thing I have to complain about is the truning radius. I also have an International 4700 that turns 180 degrees in about 2/3 of the distance the 99 does.

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i think thats jsut been a chevy thing my old bosses truck turned like garbage too

reg cab gives better visiblity, I just got my first short bed ext cab, man after i put the fuel tank and tool box in back , im gonna have a 3 foot bed.....

7. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

The ext. cab is nice for a daily driver vehicle and if youa re going to be hauling more than yourself and 1-2 others around. The reg cab is great for visibility.

I have both and I can't see anywhere near as well out the back of the ext. cab as I can out of the back of the reg cab.

8. stiffs_00

stiffs_00 Member

i'm a contractor, mostly vinyl siding and i plow for my town. i hate to lose 2' of bed space , wondered if there was any problems plowing circles, i,m interested in a 2005 f-350 club cab with a 6' bed with a plow.i had a 1997 f-350 long bed with 210000 miles on it till someone cut out in front of me.any remoulding contractors have any input on buying a 6' bed ?

9. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

95 crew cab f350 8 foot bed dually oh yeah its manual too
    haha

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Crew cab for me. I can keep all the tools and stuff inside

11. rodbuilder

rodbuilder Junior Member

I have a 2000 Z-71 Ext. cab and do great with it BUT the 20% tint on my door windows got whacked off after the FIRST job I did with the truck, after i turned the dam thing in to a tree at my FIRST account!!!

Keyword: Keep the supercab buty scratch off any tint that you have on a door window!!!! "Tint" and "plow truck" don't belong on the same sentence!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. rodbuilder

rodbuilder Junior Member

OH!...... just be sure top [ut some killer backup lights on your rig. I use 2 Peterson 3x5, 55 watt halogens that I wired into my backup lights - then I removed the stock light bulbs from my truck The lights are screwed to 2 pieces of wood that I trimmed down and attached into my rear stake pockets. This is a killer setup that lights up EVERYTHING in back of me.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think so. A CC/SB is going to have a wheelbase at least two feet longer than a RC/LB. I have an EC/LB, its just two feet longer wheelbase. The crew cab is even longer than the extended cab, but you get a little back with shortbed.

I would never buy a shortbed that I intended to "work" out of. I like to be able to haul 4x8 sheets and put the tailgate up. I actually have a crossover toolbox in the front with my PolyCaster in bed.

14. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

Not quite. a 10" diff for Chevy. 5" diff for Ford. I'm sure most year models are similar.

Chevy- '88-'99
    reg. cab shortbed:117.5 in (2985 mm)
    reg. cab longbed: 131.5 in (3340 mm)
    ext. cab shortbed:141.5 in (3594 mm)
    ext. cab longbed: 155.5 in (3950 mm)

Ford F-150- '92-'97
    reg. cab shortbed: 116.8 in (2,967 mm)
    reg. cab longbed: 133 in (3,378 mm)
    ext. cab shortbed: 138.8 in (3,526 mm)
    ext. cab longbed: 155 in (3,937 mm)
    crew cab longbed: 168.4 in (4,277 mm)

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You didn't list any crewcab wheelbases for GM, and only CC/LB for the Ford, which is three feet longer than the RC/LB BTW

16. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

Ah, By CC/LB I thought you meant ClubCab/LB or what I think is the same as ExtCab/lb.

17. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

My next truck will most likely be a CC/SB. I do quite alot of people hauling and it sucks having 3 people in a reg cab. Seating 5 comfortably in the CC would be soooo nice. Granted at that point I'll sell my current saddle box for a smaller one to recoup some of the bed space.

18. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

i love my extended cab long box (155" wb 1990 f-150) but i'm glad i don't plow with it. the reg cab long box is bad enough.... we do mostly drives.

i wouldn't buy a short box truck if i plan to haul stuff with it.. even my personal truck is a long box. i hate not being able to get sheets in my truck....

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Reg cabs are the most effiecent plowing trucks, hands down.

20. Stoneheadmtn

Stoneheadmtn Member

Turning Radius

2004 108" wb Isuzu NPR, 9' dump box, 2' saddlebag toolbox, 8'6" Boss, 14,500 # GVW, SnowEx SP2400 tailgate replacement spreader, 13.5 mpg, UNBELIEVEABLE Plow Visability, good back up spotlights, and turns tighter than my wifes Montana Van. We carry calcium, hand spreader, dry clothes, shovels ....in the boxes, bulk salt tarped in the dump bed.

Bought it this spring and was a little worried about plowing with it but now that it's seen some service I'll be looking for another one.

The cabover and short wheelbase are a whole different world for tight spots.