1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a CJ7?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ksdaddy, Sep 8, 2003.

1. ksdaddy

ksdaddy Junior Member
    from Maine

I'm looking at an '85 CJ7 with a 6 cyl and Fisher plow. I have a small yard, but it's difficult to do a decent job with a snowblower. In years past I've plowed with a '49 Chevy farm truck (shortened), and a '77 F-150 with a very lame and tired 351M. Some people have said that a Jeep is too light to plow with. The Jeep runs good, has a new clutch, gas tank, and battery, and he wants $1200 for the package. It's just shy of being roadworthy, needs a windshield and maybe other minor stuff. What's everyone's opinion about using a CJ7 for (non-commercial) plowing?

2. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I say go for it. A lot of people plow with jeeps and they make great little plow trucks. the jeep has a 6cyl so the engine is big enough. Its not brand new so you wont worry about beating it up. its clutch so shifting may get to you after a while but other than that i think you will be happy with it:)

3. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Welcome to the site Ksdaddy hit up the search button and you will find tons of posts about plowing with Jeeps.

:)

Jay

4. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

My dad has 2 Jeeps that he plows with, a 93 Wrangler 4.0L-6 with 5 spd, and a 85 CJ-7 with a Chev 350/turbo 350 tranny. Both are great little plow vehicles and great on res. drives. Both Jeeps run 6.5' Western plows. Good luck and have fun!!

5. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

I have plowed residentials for years with a CJ-7 and then a Wrangler both were automatic though. The only thing I found tough is when I went to plow small lots they were a little small. I now use a Dodge reg cab 1500 short bed with a Blizzard 750 LD. This is a little bigger but can handle the load. The CJ-7' s are great small yard machines.