1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a cap

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmjr77, Dec 15, 2006.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

My brother has put a cap on my 2000 SRW 3500 reg cab pickup and he wants to plow with it. Is this a good idea or not??
  2. BobC

BobC Senior Member

If you can drive I don't see any problem. Sure it will somewhat reduce visibility but thats what mirrors are for, plow with F550 dump truck and can't look out rear window just drive it with mirrors, you also can have dry storage under your cap for whatever you please.
  3. CJC

CJC Junior Member

I don't think it's a good idea. The only time I ever hit anything while plowing was when I had a cap on the truck.
  4. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

i have a cap on my 02 ram2500 and i dont see why its not possible, i didnt use it plowing yet but i can back up to my trailer every time fine
  5. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

Could you?
    Should you?

yes, no, maybe so.

Depeneds,,, Are you going to be Plowing a Lot? <---- You see that? Now that right there,, Thats a funny, son, you missed it. It went right over your head. :dizzy: :rolleyes:
  6. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i use my mirrors and i dont have a cap on never turned around to look out the back takes to much time....ull be fine...we have two guys that plow with caps and they do fine....
  7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I would'nt do it, but thats just me.
  8. retoocs555

retoocs555 Junior Member

I keep my cap on May-Nov and would plow with it except for the snow that falls down between the cap and the cab blocking visability out the rear window.

Also, I shovel sand and salt out of the back of the truck. Can't do that with a cap on.
  9. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

I absolutely hated plowing with a cap on the truck. Ya I could still see and have mirrors, just not the same as wide open view.
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A cap's gonna make it tough to reload the V-box!:nod: LOL
  11. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I usually have a cap on when I go outside to keep my hair dry.
  12. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

I took mine off after plowing with it once. With the tintedd rear window of the cab, and the tinted windows of the cap, made it difficult to see. Yes I use mirrors (used to drive a semi), but when you turn around it was a PITA.

I used to use the suburban to plow and thought it would be the same, but used to roll the rear window down in the burban.

Am in the process of building a rack in the backyard to allow me to remove and replace the cap by myself. Just gotta dig 1 hole, and cement 2 poles, and then finish the rack part. Will have to post a pic or 2 when I get it done. Maybe Tomorrow??
  13. GSE

GSE Senior Member

Those damn wool tobaggon hats always make my head itch when it gets hot in the truck. I usually wear a company baseball hat, and the woolly when I'm out of the truck.
  14. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this. The wooley cap kinda covers the ears when we get that sideway wind.
  15. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Sometimes it is necessary to look out the back window, especially when backing into a roadway at an angle. Not impossible with a cap, but definately more difficult, and dangerous.
  16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Yeah, I ran a cap last season- took it off as soon as spring arived. total PITA. Tinted windows make it really tough to see through, the snow between the cap and truck cab is tough to remove, the reduced window size in the cap really reduced visability. I had to prop the cap hatch up for plowing so I could see out the rear view mirror at night!

And yes, I can drive a 24 foot box truck with only mirrors, but you don't like to drive essentially blind at 2 am when you're tired from plowing and driving in a small driveway.
  17. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

I always opened the back window on the cap prior to plowing. Very few places where it was a problem with low hanging branches and it improved visibility tremendously. The cap kept the snow off the shovels and other stuff in the back. It's a love/hate relationship. I always hated the icebergs that would form in the bed without the cap...