1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a cap on bed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by theIceNSnowman, Dec 28, 2012.

1. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

Got our first real snow in 2 years here in Hudson Valley. Got to try my new rig finally.
    I bought my truck last January and it came with a matching cap on the short bed. I enjoyed the cap all summer keeping all my small engines and tools dry and safe. I plowed this storm with the cap to see how I liked it.

Pros, all my stuff is dry and not covered in ice. shovels, bags of salt, whatever you want dry is dry with a cap.
    Cons, cant see anything behind me. Cap has side windows and a full size rear window. Problem is those windows get covered in salt and sand immediately while going down the road. Plowed 30 accounts and didn't hit anything, but sure did take me a longer as I was extra careful using mirrors.

I plan to get a spreader at some point this year and obviously the cap has to come off when that happens, but I am not sure if I want to keep the cap on until then.

I was def the only guy plowing with a cap in my whole county it seemed.
    I was also the only guy with dry gear in the bed.

experienced thoughts? ever just temporarily remove the rear window door?
  2. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

I hated it and took it off. Once i had the hatch freeze shut on me and most other times the road spray between the cab and cap made it impossible to see.

Sold them off my last 2 trucks
  3. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Take the back hatch off? (If possible) At least then it wont get covered in snow.

Never seen anyone plowing with a cap.
  4. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

Add a backup camera if you can put it high enough to not get hit with salt spray. I have put them on several customers who have a camper shell and they love them.
  5. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

youll get used to it. think about all the stuff that basically has no back window, alot of dump trucks, box trucks, use the mirrors alot
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Those shiny reflective thingies on both doors are very useful for backing up. And save your neck and shoulders from getting all cramped up.
  7. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

For sure. I very very rarely look out the back window plowing.
  8. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

When I started plowing I used my truck with a cap for 2 years and it was all I really knew. I still have that truck and use as a back up, but my main truck does not have a cap. Even without the cap I still rarely look out the back window, I'm just so used to using the mirrors that I don't even think about it.

You'll get used to it, depending on what type of salter you get, you may have to use your mirrors even when you remove the cap later this year.
  9. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

It's not hard to get used to using mirrors...otherwise, try a soft tonneau to keep your stuff dry without impeding visibility.
  10. Theplower

Theplower Junior Member

Not sure what kind of truck you have, but if you have one with decent sized mirrors, I would get use to using those. If you get your sander and it's not a tailgate sander, you're going to need to adjust to using just mirrors any way. You could get a backup camera, but remember there could be a time in life where your going to be using a truck without one for whatever reason and not have a back window.
  11. robertpkerrsr@h

robertpkerrsr@h Member

My truck(s) have always had a cap. I would wear out my neck if I had to keep turning around. I even use only the mirrors when I'm driving my wive's Honda.
  12. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Real men / truckdrivers , backup with mirrors ! I have a term for the process of backing up while looking out the rear window (and not being able to see any of the drivers side) . I refer to it as bitchbacking ! Backing with mirrors should be part of any drivers ed class . I used to take my son out an fire roads and have him back up for miles , when I was teaching him to drive , we don't need no stinking back window ! Thumbs Up
  13. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

I've got a cap. Need it for other things not plowing related. Would prefer not to have it, but sure is nice to keep gear in.
  14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

My truck has a back window? I plow for years with a cap and never had a problem. Just push your mirror up against the windshield for a while and you'll get used i to it
  15. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I remember at my drivers ed class (2 years ago) they said it wasnt safe to back up using just mirrors since someone or something could be behind you that you can't see with just mirrors... well if I put my mirrors out all the way and adjust them (I do forget this sometimes) I can see everything thats one foot behind my truck... I guess my drivers ed guy never drove a truck with tow mirrors.
  16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry buddy, your mirrors would have to stick out about 30 feet off each side to see a lamp post one foot behind the center of your tailgate.

Great story though.
  17. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

hahahahahahahaa oooowwwwwnnnnnneeeeeeddddddd
  18. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

I plow with a one ton dump truck...I can't see how that's any different then plowing with a truck with a cap on it. I don't think it would bother me. I never look out my back window in anything, I guess to many years driving my big trucks.
  19. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I take mine off for the winter.I don't drive the truck and figure the driver needs all the help he can get!I take tailgate off also sometimes.Amazing how when you get tired you second guess yourself.I've actually stopped,got out and looked behind me to double check!But I am a" middle aged man". I drive a dump and have a backup camera with two cameras but haven't used this year,been good visibility and have plowed after snow has stopped.
  20. bayfish

bayfish Junior Member

I've been considering putting a cap on my plow truck. I like the thought of keeping my bags of salt, and other equipment dry. The guy in the back filing the tailgate spreader would like sitting in the covered area better as well. I use mirrors to back anyway, so no problem there.