1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a cabover....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mdb landscaping, Feb 26, 2009.

1. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

Was looking at this truck on truck trader. We are looking at replacing a truck and wanted to go with a cabover. My only question is about plowing with one like this. I know I have seen some guys on here with some mitsubishis and isuzus, but if I were to purchase this truck above, does fisher, western or anybody else make a mount for this, or would I have to make a custom one? Are there downsides to plowing with this? Being that its cabover, does that change how a plow is handled on the front end?
    [​IMG]

2. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

Not sure on you question about mounts. I have ridden in a cab over while plowing. I personally would like one. Not real practical for the rural type drives I do, but the visibility is awesome. Its like your driving a plow not a truck.

3. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

I wouldent reccomend it.

I dont think the LCF is offered in 4x4, being in CT 4x4 is nice to have especially on a truck like that. We used to have a 4x4 mitsubishi with a 9' fisher....standard shift...it...sucked!

yeah its nice to be able to see but I would take the power of the powerstroke and the comfort of an f350 or 550 over the cabover ride.

The LCF auto might be a different story, but no 4x4 will suck in some situations...

Fisher does make mounts for the mitsus I dont know about the fords though. If it were me I would spend the money on a nice 350 dump or 550.

Just my opinion.

4. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

Agreed on the ride, and comfort. Like i said not practical for the stuff I do. But I bet in a parking lot they would be nice.

5. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Once you plow with a cabover its hard to go back to a reg cab truck. Plow mfg's only make push frames for 4 x 4 trucks. You would have to custom fab one. If you can put a locker in the LCF it will plow fine, with in reason. My Mitsi pushes like a tank but I can't push up a steep driveway if I start from a stop at the bottom. Also, if the approach angle is very steep, the bottom of the push frame, where it connects to the plow, will drag on the ground and you may get hung up.

Weigh the front end of the truck to check it against the front spring rating to see how big of plow you can carry. This is what I was told when I looked into getting a V plow.

6. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

My cabover plows great. Good rubber and lots of weight!

7. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I have 2 Isuzu NPRs 2WD. I had to have custom mounts made for my Boss plows, But I know there was a guy on here awhile back that had an LCF with a new meyers V plow. He said the mount was factory.

I personally love my cabovers. My guys that run them really love them, and hate having to get in the F350s to plow with. They like being able to see what you are doing, how much they can push, and most of all how well the turn.

If you use these trucks right, you wont have any trouble. I keep mine on flat commercial acconts, and they will flat out push TONS of snow. We used one on a rural sub division last year, and it just didn't perform as well as we hoped.

I would love to have that LCF you are looking at. They are way nicer than the NPRs that I have. Plus they have a better motor, with more power.

Good luck

J.

8. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Does anyone know if Mitsu fixed its transmission issue and can now have auto?

9. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Which manufacturer makes the LCF for Ford?

10. Dodge2

Dodge2 Member
    from ottawa

If your worried about not having a 4X4 for plowing then maybe you should get some air activated chains for it, like these when it gets tough plowing http://www.onspot.com/main.htm , looks like they could give you all the traction you need. Just a suggestion.

11. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

That is really neat. I have never heard of anything like that before.

12. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

that is one slick set up....

13. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

I saw a school bus with air chians stuck at an intersection the other day. The problem is when you are going slow they dont fling under the tire, they just bounce off the sidewall.

14. Dodge2

Dodge2 Member
    from ottawa

I think the whole idea about them is to use them to prevent you from getting stuck, once your stuck I don't think they would help as much, do to what Snowaway said, but when your moving I think they would help you alot with traction.

15. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

You wont need chains. Put a sander on the bed, or a load of sand and all will be well.

International makes the LCFs for Ford.

J.

16. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a couple questions about these cab over trucks, and would like to hear from guys that own, or operate them. I am looking at one for my company. It will not be used for plowing, but to haul tools from coast to coast for a different division of my company. I want to get one with a 14 foot enclosed utility bed on it. Now for the questions.
    What kind of mileage do these get? Looking a diesel.
    How loud is it inside the cab sitting right on top of the motor?
    Will they keep up with traffic out west where the speed limit is 75 mph?
    How comfortable are they to drive / ride in?

Any information will help me make my choice. I appreciate your help.

17. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

I'm sure with a sander combo..it would be ideal...especially in tight parking areas; I would definetly be more apt to 4x4 though. jmo

18. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

Could have been the brand. Back when I was selling fire trucks there were 3 brands On Spot, InstaChain and RUD. RUD was the only brand that worked in reverse and the only brand we sold. I've thought about getting a setup depending on price.

http://www.rud.com/en/produkte/schneeketten/rotogrip.html

19. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Chains

On spots are great when used correctly. First you need to have them down before you need them so they are under the tire to prevent spinning. The problem is when you are in snow deeper than an inch or so, it sloows the chain from spinning under the tire so it renders them pretty much useless.

20. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

The GM W-series with the 5.2 are sweet trucks. HUGE payload cap for such a small truck, also pretty decent power