1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing With a Bobcat

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bobcat185, Nov 12, 2008.

1. bobcat185

bobcat185 Junior Member

What is the best way to plow a parking lot with a bobcat that has a truck plow attached to it?
  2. bobcat185

bobcat185 Junior Member

Well my neighbor who does excavating and plows in the winter wants me to help him this winter. He has a bobcat S185 that has a truck plow on the front. But would you first back drag the snow against the building or would you plow first?
  3. shredder781

shredder781 Junior Member

first of all have you ever operated a bobcat before???
    second, it's basically the same as using a truck only not nearly as comfortable. I'm surpised your friend isn't using a push box. I also hope it's a heated machine with some type of music.Be prepared for long nights.
  4. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Get an IPOD cause your going to need music bad after a few hours!
  5. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

Are you guy's going to be leaving the bobcat at the job all winter? Trailering that thing in the snow is going to get old... fast!
  6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

this question has a least 1000 answers and all of them are right.......
  7. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

That question is kind of like "what kind of truck should I buy? Ford, GM, or Dodge?" Or, "how much salt do I put on a mid-sized lot?"

Bobcat.. that was kinda of a loaded question. As far as your question, a 185 is kinda on the small side but it also depends on what kinda of lot it is and what you are going to have the machine doing. The truck plow on the front is risky, That all depends on the operator, you get a scetchy operator in it and you might as well call the scrap guy. A 185 with a box on it can get rough if you get alot of snow. I hope this helped.
  9. bobcat185

bobcat185 Junior Member

I have operated a bobcat before and enjoy running one. I have been running one since I was 9 or so because we had one but then sold it which was a mistake. Then I started working for my neighbor and that is about the only thing I drive normaly. And to answer your question we are going to be trailering it around because were going to plow more than one lot like 5 different places and a big place that takes a loader and a couple of trucks. It has heat and air so it will be nice and I do have a mp3 which I probly will use. And my boss wants to weld wings on it so it is a box which he did before but they didn't use thick enough metal so we probly will do here soon.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  10. bobcat185

bobcat185 Junior Member

My main question was how to start plowing the lot. Like do you first back drag along the building if the lot has one or do you plow then come back and back drag?
  11. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Blizzard plows have one designed for Bobcat fittings. But then theres no trip system.
  12. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

To answer your question: If the snow cannot be placed along the building, ie. docks, walks etc, then backdrag the snow out until you can plow in a foward motion. I'd team it up with a truck, bucket the snow out of tight areas then truck plow to the edge, clean and square up the lot with the skiddy. Without a two speed, skidloaders are pointless with angle blades on them.
  13. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

We do just fine with our plower angle with wings, but yes agreed with blowerman
  14. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

You Will have to plow the lot first before backdragging otherwise you just sit and spin in the snow when you are trying to pull the snow back, I would put chains on it or you could just as well leave it in the shed for the winter!!!!
  15. Jay brown

no need to back drag with a SS they turn so tight you can almost always go forward.....also remember on medium lots unlike a truck a SS can windrow both directions with ease.... don't backup, always be plowing something and if you have 2 SS's or a SS and a truck, plow together in a V formation and move 4-5 times the snow.
  16. Jay brown

wouldn't you be plowing everything twice???? ever try snow tires?
  17. bobcat185

bobcat185 Junior Member

Good reasons why to plow first and everything. I might just try that and see how it goes when it snows.
  18. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

I guess if you backdrag across the entire lot, or if you consider the 5ft. of the parking lot where you are backdraging everything then no you would not be plowing everything twice.:rolleyes: Most of the time no you will not need to backdrag unless the building or lot has a sidewalk around it that is to narrow to fit the machine on.:nod:
  19. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

If it is icy snow tires are worthless to, Chains are the answer for me, I dont get anything done when i am spinnig all day, With chains you are unstoppable!!!
  20. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I started out that way a real pita. I had no heat and damned near froze to death and it is very slow. I now use it for 5 lots all are small and my 1 employee does it. If we had a blizzard there good for piling back.