1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with a a sno-way mt series plow weighs about 575 lbs total

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by treesnsnow, Sep 1, 2009.

1. treesnsnow

treesnsnow Member

hello,
    i plowed last year with this 2005 f-150 5.4L 4x4, but with a western conventonal mount plow 7'6". the truck handled that plow well, it dropped about 2 inchs when the plwo was lifted. i just mounted the sno-way mt series plow on tonight and the truck seems not to be carrying this plow very well. The the truck drops 4" when i pick the plow up. what can i do to help this problem. and if any one does have a plow on their newer style f150 and have done somethign please share.
    thanks
    phil:dizzy:

2. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

I have a 06 f 150 ext cab 5.4 with the sw mt plow mine barely drops at all. and I have the light front end 3750. it is my avatar as you can see. the only thing i did was put a 2.5 lift in the front cause every time I go into a dip it would scrap the mount. I would recomend a 2 inch lift for the front. other thing is to possibly going to your ford dealer and order the 4300 or 4400 lbs coil springs. cant rember what the heavy payload prep package coils are. I bet they are close to 400 for the pair where the lift kit is 80 plus a front end alingment.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Much cheaper to buy a set of timbrens, if you add a lift kit be sure to lower the mount back down to the proper height. The plow will be much more effective. Ballast will also make a big difference.

4. treesnsnow

treesnsnow Member

i already have the 2 inch front lift in the truck and also how much ballast should i be running anyone have any idea
    thanks phil

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Four to five hundred lbs.

6. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

with my 2.5 lift kit I am just at the top of the limit height. I run maybe 300 lbs ballast at the tailgate. It does not seem to make any difference on how the truck handles the plow. All I can tell you to do is measure at the wheel well with it down and up a really see how much drop you get sometimes it looks worse than it really is. make sure your mount isat the right hieght too. It would help if we had some picks of it too.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Use timbrens and 500lbs of ballast. JMO

8. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

+ 1 with the Timbrens and ballast.