1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a '99 Chevy Suburban

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jason9696, Nov 28, 2008.

1. jason9696

jason9696 Junior Member
    from Vermont

Hello All,
    I came over here from www.Lawnsite.com where I have found a lot of helpful info for my lawn care business in the summer.
    I am totally new to plowing, I have done it probably ten times with someone else's equipment, but never my own.
    I have a '99 Suburban that has been in my family for a long time, and I want to know how realistic it would be to plow with it. I want to do at the max 10 driveways, maybe some small parking lots, but don't forsee myself doing big lots or anything.
    I went on the Fisher web site, and I can put a 7 1/2' SD on there.
    My question is, how well will this plow? Will I be breaking stuff left and right, and putting a lot of wear on the vehicle?

I also have a '08 Tundra that is a lease, that I am timid to set up with a plow, because I'm not sure I want to keep it or not after the lease is up in two years.
    What do you guys think?
    Thanks for the help,
    Jason

2. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi Jason

The Suburban is virtually a 1500 Pick-up with a station wagon body, all 1/2 ton truck under neath.

If you are looking for a real nice used plow set up for your Suburban I have one

It is a 7.5' Meyer Ez Mount Classic, it comes complete with the correct chevy mounts, all the wiring, controls, a rebuilt E47 pump, the blade, lift frame and frame brackets have been sand blasted and totally refinished , along with New labels, this plow is like new! If your interested call me at 508 753 6617

Jay
    Central Mass area

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

They did make 3/4 ton Sburban's. For 10 drives yours will work fine. The harder you work a truck the faster it will wear out. Plowing is more work!

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If it's a 1/2 ton you can put a 7.5' HD Fisher plow on it, and if it's a 3/4 ton you can put an 8' HD Fisher plow on it. Does your Tundra have the 5.7 or 4.7?

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Worst part about plowing with a Suburban is the windows fogging up.
    It will push snow fine....you may have trouble seeing.
    A small fan to keep the air moving will help de-fog the windows.

6. jason9696

jason9696 Junior Member
    from Vermont

Thanks for all the replies!

Nascar - That sounds like a good deal, I might give you a call at some point.

I thought I could only put a SD on there, at least that's what the web site says.
    It's a 4.7L.

Thanks,
    Jason

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Go to a dealer they will probably tell you diferent. The site says you can only put a Home Steader on a 2008 Chevy 1500 but the dealer toled my you can put a 7.5' HD on it.