1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a 6spd manual?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Mark13, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm curious to know if anyone on here plows with a G56 manual behind either a late 5.9 CR or a 6.7 Cummins?

For those who don't know trans names but know patterns, it's this one:
    [​IMG]

I liked how close reverse and 2nd are and how easy it is to change directions with the trans. However I don't like how hard it is to get into reverse.

Is there a fix to make it easier to get into reverse or do you just get used to it being stiff to get over far enough for reverse?

For the occasional use of reverse I'd be ok with it, but shifting from 2nd to reverse hours on end I think my arm might fall off.

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I had a sub last season that did about 65 residential driveways with an '07 3500 Dodge 5.9 6 speed. It didn't seem to slow him down at all.

Personally, I don't know how he did it... it'd make me puke to plow with a stick. :eek:

3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

at least the clutch is soft on the g-56 so your leg wont fall off, just your arm. id plow with one, im sure you would get use to it.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would think long and hard before I bought a plow truck with a stick. If you plowed roads and big parking areas, maybe. Drives? I don't think so.....

5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I would not be interested in plowing driveways with a stick, and half of my city route would suck also. Its annoying enough to shift an auto from R to 1 and back again

6. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Hey Mark, glad to see your possibly looking into 03+ dodges more. Do you plow drive a manual now? I'm not saying you don't have manual driving skill, but driving a stick 24/7 your muscles build up and motor memory eliminates some of the mental fatigue.

As far as the reverse gate stiffness, I don't think it will be a problem. Plowing the large lots I'm constantly going from second to reverse and my reverse syncro is very worn. I have to hit 5th gear first and then slam it down into reverse. I don't think you'll even notice how stiff that reverse gate is after a push or two. With my worn out tranny my arms flying around the cab in a blur using good syncros to mesh into bad gears and double clutching like a mad man. I should probably video tape it for posterity.

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

x2. I'm thinking the same thing. I'd really like to try a storm in a G56 equipt truck before buying one but I know that's not going to happen. I figure if I decide I don't like it I shouldn't have much trouble selling an 06 or 07 5.9 cummins with a 6spd behind it.

I don't do that many driveway's that are my idea of an in town residential. I have a max of about 6 of them to do and about 3, sometimes 4 more rural driveways that are pretty decent size. The rest of my stuff is all lots.

The shifter in my truck never gets past D, I never use 3,2,1 while plowing.

I'm kinda looking at a few late 5.9s in the 06-07 years. I'm comfortable driving a manual, salesman even said I did much better then he was expecting when I test drove an 07 5.9 last night. I also have a 91 Chevy s10 that's a 5spd that's my little gas saver truck. I just didn't want my right arm to fall off after about 4hrs from plowing from trying to get the truck into reverse. At least the clutch has a light feel to it so my left leg won't fall off, just my right arm. :D

8. cubicinches

Don't bet on it...

And, wait until you see what the resale value is on a stick truck.

9. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Man's got a point. They're only worth something to the right people(You and me). And most those people aren't gonna pay blue book fer anything. So finding a steal of a deal will be very important to you. I know you've got time to make the purchase, so take your time.

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I know not everyone want's a stick shift, but there is a following for them and if you get the right people's attention it shouldn't be to bad.

For example, look how nuts cummins' guys go when they find a nice 12v with a 5spd behind it. Compared to a nice 12v with a 47re trying to live behind it.

11. cubicinches

That is a true statement. But in an '06 or '07 truck, they're not faced with that poor choice of an auto transmission. :)

12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The 48re is a better trans no doubt. But I still don't really have my faith in them. I'm sure one would treat me just fine seeing as how it would primarily be my daily driver and plow truck with some power mods. It would also be used to tow quite a bit, usually stuff under 10k but I don't want to be worried about my trans using it at the farm when stuff starts getting over 15k up thru the point where we have no idea what it weighs besides really heavy.

13. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i dont think you would have trouble selling a 6 speed. theres enough people out there that will still buy manuals.

14. TBittner

TBittner Junior Member

i plow with an 06 2500 cummins G56 tranny and i bet i could sell my manual faster than someone with an auto. I also have a Southbend dual disk 3600cb in my truck. I will admit its tough but you just get use to it. I just changed my tranny fluid to amsoil synthetic and it did make the tranny alot smoother but i occasionally still have a tough time goin to reverse but it does seem easier. Unless you have a built tranny or a completely stock truck the auto isn't that great. Its all what you use the truck for, i mean if your using it to haul and need the manual or like to drive a manual then its just something you will have to deal with if you need it to plow in the winter.

15. kurtthedurt

kurtthedurt Junior Member
    from chicago

When your dealing with a diesel the manual trucks sell FASTER and for more....Most people looking for that type of vehicle know the benefits of a hand shaker

16. cubicinches

Yeah... That's why there's so many of them out there. :rolleyes:

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

For those of you that have (or do) actually plow with a stick, how do you stop the input shaft from spinning to get into reverse?

I started plowing with a stick. Just dubbing around so speed wasn't a factor.

18. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

This is my first year plowing with a stick and I don't ever want to go back (or drive my F250 with an auto). I was always afraid of it, but it's awesome. I plow a route that's worse than driveways: it's all courts or cul-de-sacs with a LOT of direction changes. After a court or two, my left leg is warmed up and it doesn't matter anymore. The right arm is probably less an issue than with a column mounted shifter because the stick is right there and the control is mounted to it. The shift pattern is different between my Jeep and the Dodge you're talking about and actually most of what I'm saying has nothing to do with your question, but don't be afraid of the stick. I'm also under the assumption that a stick is harder to sell and therefore will be able to get a deal on when you find one.

19. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

mark buy a stick if you feel confertable driving it everyday. my truck is stick and i dont regret it one bit. also keep in mind that you could get a nicer truck for less money if you are looking at a stick!:nod:

20. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

the only difference between a stick and auto is a clutch(better to plant the power to the ground in some cases) and the location of the shifter. if you think about it a stick you go back and forth, and auto you go up and down really no differenc other then that.