1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a 6 speed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BOSS Man, Nov 22, 2004.

1. BOSS Man

BOSS Man Junior Member

I have a RAM 2500 HEMI auto with an 8'-2" BOSS V-plow. I will soon be replacing the truck with a RAM 3500 CTD 6 speed and plan to install the same type of plow on this truck. Last week, I noticed the recently updated Dodge website prompts for a change from manual to automatic transmission when selecting the snow plow prep package.

Anyone know if there might be warranty issues? How about Ford and GM?

I did snow removal with gearshift compact diesel tractors for years with no problems. The clutch work is not that bad. Besides, I figure I will be using the truck for general driving, hauling, and trailering much more than plowing.
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

A stick is quite capable if you want to do the leg and arm work it is just that automatic can be more graceful about it genearlly and the torque converter can make the "push" to stack snow nice and smooth too. My last new truck would have been a stick too if it did not see duty as a plow truck too. Something else to think about too is when I was recovering from a unexpected knee injury, I would have been unable to plow snow if it had been a stick
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  3. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

Don't do it. I plow with a manual tranny. Changed the clutch after last winter. After the 6th hour that knee is gona be in pain. Ofcourse that did not make me change to an automatic. Just something to think about.
  4. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

The Dodge clutch is crap. Go with a South Bend Clutch Con OFE. Or if you want some beef, use the Con FE from South Bend. Ive got this clutch and it's rated at 600 horsepower, I can't even get this clutch's attention. Been plowing with it for 3 years so far.

Want a clutch for your six speed that's on steroids? Try the South Bend Clutch Dual Disc. This thing was made for sled pulling. Van Haisley Machine in Fairfield, IN. has a triple disc clutch for the NV-5600 (the six speed)!

I've seen 1000 horsepower Cummins powered Dodge pick ups do stuff like eat input shafts, twist driveshafts and snap axel stubs. Clutches aren't their problem. They got some Monster clutches, go ahead and get the six speed. Unless you LIKE to work on your truck...
  5. BOSS Man

BOSS Man Junior Member

Thank you each for your opinions/ideas. I will only be plowing my driveway, a small business lot, and possibly my church lot. The manual will be fine, but it does sound like a new clutch will be required sooner rather than later.

I have also been considering some power mods, so I will plan the clutch upgrade accordingly.

I am still curious about the warranty implications. The Dodge website did not used to prompt for the change. This might be related to the upcoming change to a Getrag 6 speed transmission. My truck has been built and is on its way with the NV-5600.

I guess I will fing out soon enough.
  6. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Most all plow manufacturers recomend an auto trans. But there are many rigs on the road using a manual. The 2 biggest problems with the stick is wear and tear on your left leg and too slow for backing up. I would be very cautious of those super duty clutches. I had a truck with one and it had 2 to 3 times as much pedal effort. If you are just plowing a couple of small lots, the manual will be fine and the clutch will still last just as long as normal.
  7. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Actually all South Bend Clutches have 60% LESS pedal effort. (When did all us plow guys become women??) They accomplished this for people who complain about how hard it is to push in a truck's clutch. It is EXTREMLY easy.
    If you are backing up and you have that far to do it, perhaps more money could be made by just turning the truck around.......
  8. Tarkus

Curious, They must maybe be diaphram based clutches then instead of coil spring because diaphram clutch are know for lower pedal effort.
  9. Mr.Foongatz

Mr.Foongatz Junior Member

I wouldn't worry to much about the clutch, we have a 2000 Dodge 6 speed with an Edge EZ that plows for our city and commercial parking lots. Still on the original clutch after 70K miles. It can take a good beating.
  10. Tarkus

The bigger the truck, the bigger the clutch and the less strain plowing is on it vs lessor vehicals.