1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a 6" Lift?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PWRPLS, Sep 14, 2011.

1. PWRPLS

PWRPLS Junior Member
    from Canada

I have a 2003 F250 with a 6" suspension lift. I was told I wouldn't have any problems putting a plow on it yet the min they look at the tuck I'm told it can't be done. Any ideas?

2. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Quite honestly, I think you're going to have a problem there. A plow attaches to your frame - which is now separated from your suspension by another 6 inches. Then there's the distance to mother earth depending on what size tires you're running. Here's the big problem. In order for your plow to push properly, it needs to transfer and distribute loads back through your frame - which as we know is now 6" away from where it was supposed to be when the plow frame was engineered. Probably not gonna happen. I'd also be more than a little concerned about the significantly higher center of gravity.

That said, could somebody "attach" a plow frame to your truck? Certainly. It just wouldn't work right.

3. res201cue

res201cue Senior Member

I had a 6' lift on my truck I had to lower the plow mount add bracing and hope for the best. It worked I just didnt like the limited viability thats why I took the lift off. like I said it can be dont but requires a little fabrication and engineering skill.

Good luck

4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

The rule of thumb is when the plow is hooked to the truck the aframe shoulsd be as close level as possible so there is even pressure on the cutting edge. Even more crucial with a V blade. Maybe you could run a little smaller than stock size tires for the winter to help compensate. Or modify the mount so it is lower.

5. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

I had a 01F350 with a 4" ProComp suspension lift. I also had a Blizzard 810 on it. All I needed to do was to modify the mount some. I had some metal welded to the bottom of the mounts and new holes bored into it to mount the plows crossmember to. It was a simple solution that worked flawlessly for the 3 years that plow was mounted on my truck. For snow loads, my truck was a diesel and the snow on Vancouver Island at sea level was always heavy and thick.

6. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

It will work fine if you use a western uni mount plow with the ultra mount truck side and a uni to ultra adapter. Just have to flip the brackets upside down on the adapter. You will also need to go to a 285 tire and it is a perfect fit.

shawn_ likes this.
  7. PWRPLS

PWRPLS Junior Member
    from Canada

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I did find someone that says he can install a 7' 6" 29HD sno-way plow. They say the mounts provided should fit perfectly with no modification to the truck frame. I originally wanted a Blizzard 8600 speedwing, what do you guys think of the sno-way?

8. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

A 7.5 foot plow is way too small for your truck unless you are only planning on doing your own driveway. Mine is 8' plus the wings. It's wide enough when angled and pushing straight but not nearly wide enough to accommodate my wheelbase while turning.

When you angle the snow-way, you aren't even going to be clearing the width of your tires.

9. Too Stroked

I've got to agree with this one. We used to run 8' Fishers on the old body style trucks and they worked fine. With the new Super Dutys, we run 8' 6" Fishers. I wouldn't want to run anything narrower.

10. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Weld brackets where the 3 holes are and drill hole higher.

[​IMG]

11. PWRPLS

PWRPLS Junior Member
    from Canada

The plow I will be running is a 29hd sno way 7`6" with 9 inch scoop extentions both sides....
    Still kind of iffy if is going to work with the lift kit on the truck. Getting the plow installed next Tuesday

Still ha ve time to change my mind

12. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Not sure how it mounts, but the picture i showed you is how you modify a fisher for lifted trucks.

13. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

14. Too Stroked

15. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

i too am interested in what needs to be done? looking at a 8' unimount and am wondering how much fab work will be involved in the install. attached is a picture of the truck in question which is an 06

347.JPG

16. gtmustang00

from Berlin

diesel tech. I made my plow frame pretty much exactly like the one i pictured above. I put a level on the a frame, used a floor jack to get it level. Then measured the distance of the 2 different holes and drilled.

But i have a 9ft fisher x blade. I am buying a v blade and will be modifying my frame the same way.

17. omya

omya Junior Member
    from vermont

I have a fisher minute mount that was on an 07 GMC Sierra 1500. I want to mount it on one of these dealer lifted trucks that you see on the lots these days. 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 with 6 inch lift. 35 inch tires. I only do my own driveway. I understand the issues with traction and vision. I just want to get the mechanics right. Anybody already tackle this on a GM with a minute mount?

18. scottr

scottr Senior Member

Another 2 cents worth, yes you can make it work, like others said, need to extend your mounts and beef them up. Theres little to be gained plowing with a lift, more drawbacks, but I suspect you have a lifted rig that is used for many other things and want to plow with it. Do it. :clapping:

19. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

You realize this thread is over 5 years old, right?

20. scottr

scottr Senior Member

Im an idiot, :hammerhead: thanks for pointing that out.