1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a 59 Willys Jeep

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by oldtimesnowplow, Oct 25, 2006.

1. oldtimesnowplow

oldtimesnowplow Junior Member
    from Alaska

Hi all: I have been plowing with a 1959 Willys Jeep for about 3 years now. I started plowing in1976 with a 3/4 ton Ford tow truck. My next truck was a 1980 3/4 ton Chev. And then I up graded to a 1 ton Chev. The best truck I have ever plowed with is the 1959 Willys Jeep. It is not fast but in low range I could turn the world the other way if I could find something to chain it to. I would like to have a fleet of them. Any of you guys now where I could get another one? The name of my plowing business is "Old Time Snow Plowing" and I am in Anchorage, Alaska. If you want to see the truck go to: http://web.mac.com/oldtimesnowplow wesport
  2. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Sorry, can't help you to find another one-- I sold my '53 several years ago. With chains on all 4 corners, I never encountered a snowbank that I COULDN'T push... it was just a matter of how far I wanted to push it. As you can see from my signature, I've updated to a state-of-the-art '85 CJ-7. It doesn't plow quite as well, but I don't have chains on it either... so it's not really a fair comparison.

3. smitty3903

smitty3903 Junior Member

4. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

5. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Willys Plowing

I plow with Willys for years. I don't use electric lifts, I prefer belt driven pumps. If mounted on the generators, I changed the little Gates 2210 drive belt to one belt that went all around the pump, generator, water pump and crank.

With the 5.38 to one axle ratios and 2 to one transfer cases, I have pulled more than my share of big fancy plow trucks out of snow banks or up hills. One year I pulled a 68 Cadillac off the side of a hill when no one else would dare go up there with a wrecker when the car spun out sideways down the driveway.

I plow lots, sidewalks, driveways and just about anything that mother nature could throw at me. Except for crummy brakes that need upgrades to larger shoes, and a heater that you can either heat the cab or defrost the windshield, but not both, I choose Jeep to plow.
    NO complicated electronic ignition, no fuel injection, just a great little 4 cylinder engine that sings like a church choir to me when It winds up.

Oh, and by the way, you can double clutch and upshift the transfer case when moving, with a bit of practice. I have owned 17 jeeps in my lifetime, and I loved every one of them.
  6. fatcat2929

fatcat2929 Junior Member