1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a 5 Speed?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ben95stroke, Nov 15, 2011.

1. ben95stroke

ben95stroke Junior Member

Im not new to plowing with a standard but my last standard rig was a piece. That being said I never really wanted to go back to standard but I got a really good deal so I couldn't pass, its a 95' F-250 Powerstroke with a 5 speed. this truck is my first one with a 5 speed that ill be plowing with and I wanted to get some opinions oh how you folks went about executing a job with any tips or tricks, weather you used 4 hi or 4 lo and that kinda thing. your feed back is much appreciated. Thanks again and Semper Fi ussmileyflag

2. tank99_999

tank99_999 Junior Member

4 hi ............................ and 1 gear

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If it has a granny gear go right to 2nd and plow.

4. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

My first truck was 91 F350 5 spd. Never used 4lo. I had a Western at the time mounted the controller on the the dash right near where my hand came when hitting first gear. It actually worked out great.

5. hiranger

hiranger Member

Plowed with a 5 speed for years... U will really only need 1st, 2nd, and reverse.. Wasn't a big deal to me.. but an auto is easier. I wouldn't hesitate to plow with a manual again if need be.

6. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I agree with everyone here: 4low isn't usually necessary and it won't make much difference if you're confident driving stick. I would go from plowing in my automatic F250 for a few hours to my stick Jeep and not miss a beat. I mount my Western joystick on the shifter and use my thumb to control it. That was the weirdest part, but only took a few minutes to get used to. Good luck with truck I've always wanted...

7. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Its easier then people think to plow with a manual, Only thing you need to know is dont slip the clutch or ride the clutch, Just let it out and go. If you ride the clutch you will be replacing it after the first winter.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

And if you had a old Fisher belt drive plow even better.

9. Holland

Holland Senior Member

I'll never go back to an auto. Lots of hills here so its nice to have the ability to get a little rough on it back and forth to get you out of a bad spot. I can plow faster since i can go from forward to reverse quicker too. Just my 2 cents.

And even with my 1/2 ton 5.0 I plow in 4HI 95% of the time.

I too mounted my control to the shifter. Again, alot easier to work with, and i dont have to move my hand from the shifter. Just made a simple bracket from a piece of steel and a pipe i had cut in half. I use a hose clamp to secure it, that way i can take it off during the summer. I just zip tie it up out of the way under the dash.

[​IMG]

10. ben95stroke

ben95stroke Junior Member

Thanks for the pic I like that idea just wasn't sure how to go about it. If possible do you think you could provide exact info on what you did there for your mounting to the shifter!

11. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

I plowed with a 99 f350 5.4 5 speed and loved it. Mainly just 2nd gear and reverse. Truck has 4.10 gears in it. Would love to have a stick shift again.

12. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Pretty simple. Cut a piece of pipe in half that would fit snugly around the shifter, bent a piece of steel at a 90. drilled a hole in it for the controller to mount to, welded the 90 to the half pipe with a bit of the pipe sticking below the 90 so i could put a hose clamp around it to secure it to the shifter. Had to splice an extension into the wire harness so it would be long enough to reach. Put some split loom on it to make it look nice.

For the western joystick ive seen the same thing but the 90 mounts to the base of the controller instead.

Works great! hand never has to leave the shifter! Thumbs Up

13. SiLlY

SiLlY Member

That is brilliant. I'm doing that to my truck tomorrow. lol.. That pic made me register to the site. :D I just had to reply!

Thanks!

14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I love using a 5 speed first one was a 87 with 373 gears
    Sold it and bought another one 99 F350 with 373 gears its a dually with a rear locker mounted a 9.5 MVP western most time I push in 2wd not offten in 4wd When pushing most time in first gear sometimes running 2nd depending how far I have take the snow

SANY0608.JPG

15. Holland

Holland Senior Member

o man... dont hold me responsible for that!! haha Thumbs Up

Glad i could help and welcome to the site!

16. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

I love plowing with my 5spd. I can plow much faster with out the fear of blowing the tranny up from the constant d and r. Only problem is it gets rough on your knee after a few hours. I will be 20 this winter and I am having problems in my left knee already. Also as mentioned dont ride the clutch especialy under load

17. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

the only thing i wouldnt like about plowing with a stick shift ford is that those geniuses mounted the clutch slave cylinder internally so you have to remove the trans just to change the clutch slave.

18. SiLlY

SiLlY Member

Lol.. yeah, you did it! :D Thanks!

As far as the thread goes... I've never plowed with an auto so I wouldn't know how it compares. I know I've had no complaints nor do I have any. And my experience is in cj5's, 7's, 80 model short bed chevy's and this year... Will be able to throw an f-250 on that list, hopefully! :D

19. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Concentric slave cylinders are pretty common now on other brands too. It's supposed to be less likely to fail since it's more protected from the elements, and because the entire system is more simple without the fork and pivot and such. It is recommended to replace them when replacing the clutch, though..

20. SiLlY

SiLlY Member

Amen! When I do a clutch job.. everything in that area is getting replaced or at very least, inspected thoroughly. Rear main and etc..