1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a 5 speed transmission

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by nealbird, Aug 7, 2009.

1. nealbird

nealbird Junior Member
    from 14120

Hey guys im looking at an F-250 with a 351, looks to be in very good conditon. The only thing im concerned about is the truck is 5 speed. I can drive standard no problem, I just dont know how they are to plow with? Any help is appreciated, Thanks
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I started out on a stick. Chevy K3500 with 3 speed + granny low. I was never much good at stacking with the stick, but I didn't plow much that first winter. Many guys still run stick. I think it depends on a couple of things. If you doing a good amount of commercial/parking lots, then maybe. If you do all/mostly driveways, I would look for an auto.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Best setup with a stick is if you have a hydro plow,but most new plows are not hydro. Stick is a little harder on drives but once you get the hang of it it not bad. If your plowing lot plowing with 2 feet work the best. put the clutch in as your going into the pile and the extra power going to the batt/pump gives it a little extra boost
  4. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

Plowing with a stick I feel is better with a hydro plow. Because when you push the clutch in tap the gas it makes the pump goes faster and moves quicker. So depends on how challenging you want it to be.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i have no problems plowing with a manual, i prefer it over the automatic.
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use the search function on the gray line above.
    Search " Plowing with a manual transmission".
    It's been beat to death here. There should be an hour or more of reading there. Follow the tips and it will save your clutch and drive train from damage. There is one guy here that fried his 6 month old truck's clutch the first event. The best tip is DO NOT slip the clutch against the load. The clutch plate just builds heat till it fries!