1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with a 4cyl jeep

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by italian jeeper, Feb 2, 2005.

1. italian jeeper

italian jeeper Junior Member

i currently have a 4 banger TJ jeep wrangler. it has 4"s of lift and 35" tires which sets it roughly 7 inches above the stock height. i bought a meyer 6.5 TM plow this winter and have been using it on my frineds blazer. for next year i am considering putting it on my jeep. first i am going to buy air lift air bags to fit inside the coil springs for extra support. in the rear i plan to add about 300 lbs of salt i know me putting it on my jeep will give the plow a horrible angle so i have some ideas. i want to use the mount i have from the blazer and cut, weld, modify it so it will fit on my wrangler. once i get it on i want to extend the peices of metal that you slide the pins through and lower them so the plow may sit lower. i am obvisouly going to pay someone who has lots of welding exprience and who has a powerful welder to do this for me. anyone with some experience doing this? sound like a do able plan? is there going to be any problems with my set up? thanks for the help and the advice
  2. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Don't extend the frame mount, it will be the weak link. Build up the a frame so that the ears are higher, will be stronger. This will accomplish what you want to do, lessen the angle of the plow. I took off the ears and welded pieces of steel that were angled onto the a frame, then reattatched the ears that you put the pins through.
  3. italian jeeper

doing lots of research on this site i have found that i shouldn't worry about breaking my jeep by using a plow *unless i do something stupid. great info here. i need some suggestions on lowering the plow height. also some opinions- use the rubber spacer things (timberns?) or get a air lift kit? last question i have for now is how much should a complete meyer 6.5 tm cost? its about 4 or 5 seasons old, not to rusted although it has sat outside all 4/5 years and the wiring harnes was very screwed up. the guy i am buying from told me new they are 2500 so he wants to sell it to me used for 1500. i think thats a little high. whats a fair price- this guy is pretty much family to me.
  4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Mine was about 4-5 years old when I bought it and I paid $1000 for it. It was in good shape and had a ton of spare parts including and extra moldboard, but I got a heck of a deal. Offer him $1000 and see what he says.
  5. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

have you addressed the "power issue" or do you have low enough gears. not alot of juice out of that 4 cyl. :eek:
  6. italian jeeper

i have adressed the power issue. i am running custom dana 44 axles with arb lockers and 5.13 gears with the 35" tires. i haven't lowerd the gears in the trasfer case yet but thats down the line. its got power (in the gears)
  7. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

My owners manual says that the 4 cyl manual transmission TJ can plow, but they don't recommend it with an automatic. What it says exactly is, "Vehicles equipped with the 2.5L engine and a 3 spd automatic transmission are not approved for snowplowing". (Regarding Lockers: I don't have them, but all the guys on the jeepforum say they are useless in the snow)

If you want to put the air lift air bags in your front coils you're going to have to mod up some kind of spacer to fill the void because with that much lift the air bags aren't even going to make contact with the bump stop up top. I've got 2" coil spring spacers, btw, but as you can see, the air bags that fit these TJ's are short.

8. italian jeeper

9. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

That's a good price for the airbags. I paid just a couple dollars less. Bought them here.
    G'luck with your project Italianjeeper.
  10. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

I would not bother with the airbags. The Tera flex lift should be fine. YOu are not going to sag that much. The springs are much stronger than the stock, itshould hold up the plow ( so I was told).
    As far as plowing with a lifted 4 banger, I would just get something else to plow with. If you do plow with it lets us know how it is plowing with a 4" lift.