1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a 3500 with 2 wheel drive and a dump box?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CK82, Oct 4, 2008.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

This may be a ignorant question, but I am looking into purchasing a Chevy/GMC 3500 with a dump box and 2 wheel drive. From what I've seen anything with a dump box is generally a 2 wheel drive. Is this true? Have any of you plowed with a truck like this, should I be looking into a 4 wheel drive instead?

Thanks,
    Chris.

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

The 3500HD's were 2wd's only. All of the rest had the option of 4wd. HD's are the ones with the taller grilles and 19.5" wheels. It really depends what you plan on doing with it. Enough weight will keep it planted to the ground. I run a srw 2500 2wd service truck and no problems. Many town/city dumps are 2wd's as well. It really depends on your lots, amount of snow, etc. I'd never expect to run mine as my primary truck, but it does well with what I use it for.

3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

We have an 07 GMC 3500 2wd with a dump body we primarily keep it on the flatter lots and out of the loading docks. the plow truck i use is an 05 Chevy 3500 dump body truck with 4wd and i rarely ever use the 4wd, the only thing is its nice to know you have it as an option if you need it,

4. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

the village in which I live in has a 2000 f 550 2 wd with a fisher 9' mc and sander on it. they had problems with it until they put snow tires all thee way around. the thing is a tank now and they work it. it goes up the steep side streets in the village where they cant get the international plow truck up.

5. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Ballast, ballast, ballast!

If you don't have a v-box of salt in the back, put at least 2,000lb of something back there (as far back as possible). I work with a guy that plows with a 3500HD and he says he loses traction without at least a skid of salt back there - its because your tire contact patch is almost double that of a SRW, so the tires don't always get to the pavement. My 2500HD SRW was in 2WD 90% of last season with a skid in the bed.

6. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

So the 3500's come in 2wd only? Im not sure what I would be able to use in the bed to act as a ballast. A pallet of salt would really obstruct my view and anything lose wouldnt work in case I had to load the bed with equipment, material, etc. I guess good tires and some weight in the back would definitely be better than doing nothing. Any more information/comments?

Thanks,
    Chris

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

No, just the 3500HD's were 2wd only, not the regular 3500's. Reg 3500's were both.

8. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Sorry got-h2o. Did the dually 3500's (dump trucks) have any models made with 4wd? What do you guys generally use for a ballast and how much weight approximately? I will generally have bags/bins of salt in my pick ups, but I think I would have to come up with something different for a smaller dump truck.

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Yes, plenty of 4wd 3500 dumps out there. I'll try to find a pic to show you the difference. The HD's have a taller grille and front end. The reg 3500's have the same grille as a pickup/regular dually. HD's also run 19.5" wheels vs 16's.

10. ctriver

ctriver Junior Member

hd 3500 conversion to 4wd

Hi guys ? has any one ever converted there hd 3500 to 4wd I am talking about the ones with the 19.5 wheels not the 16" saw one for sale on line but was way to far from me to look at any help would be nice thanks jamin

has the long grill on front 17000 gvw

11. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Monroe truck was doing them when GM still produced the 3500hd, so you could get them like that.