1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a 3-spd

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by farmerkev, Feb 20, 2008.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I found a three speed truck on the internet for sale, I have never heard of a 3-speed before, but imagine it would be easier than a 4 or 5 speed, Im I correct?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Column or floor shift? What kind of vehicle? To plow snow?

Had a CJ7 with a 3 speed and 2 meter Meyer. Great driveway machine, first, reverse, first, reverse, turn on a dime.

3. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

4. RipT

RipT Senior Member

Three-speeds were still common into the early 80s, but being a '91, my guess is it is really a 4 speed, with 1st marked as LO. In routine driving you could start off in 1st (as marked) and skip LO.

In any case, should be able to plow snow just fine. I'de sure want to drive it and have an independent mechanic check it out before buying it though. If it needs significant engine or trans repair, or a clutch, it won't be much of a bargain.

Good Luck !

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  5. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

I thought those Chevy's were 3spd+ low gear up front.

L 2 4
    1 3 R

I thought I recall seeing it like that before. I never drove the truck so I can't be certain.

Either way, with that few of gears, you're going to have tall gears; including first gear. If you don't mind working the clutch, then it shouldn't be too much work.
    The good thing about that truck is you won't be too pissed off if you back into a tree or what not. Get a newer truck and ever imperfection in the pain or lines, and you get stressed. This truck might be a little fun to beat up over the course of several years.

I'm sure it'll last 2 years. If you can keep them in one peice metal wise, they'll last forever.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  6. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Thanks, I cant plow for two years, but will need to haul lawn mowers, lumber, snow throwers, and possibly do some farm work. With my price range, anything that undergoes that for two years wont be much of a plow truck IMO but I may be wrong. I need my dad to go with to look at trucks and everything I find makes him say no without even looking, maybe some positive feedback on here could get him to AT LEAST look.

I need to learn to drive a stick, but thats what Id rather have, so I guess I need to learn someday, I have drove the tractors on the farm, so I know something about them, but theres quite a difference in a truck and a tractor.

7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I know what you mean.

My Dad say no to trucks I pick. I say close to 20 times until last one I really want so he start get so mad and told me try wait for 1 car then I found 79 f150 on craiglist my Dad was say ehh I think it junk but I force his go there. He did drove it then he fell love with that we bought it.

Do you want know what last truck that make his so mad. It was 1986 F350's 351, 4 speed, flatbed that are 12X8', dually and paint is fade. It was 500 dollars it look best shape for that price. Why owner sell so cheap. He tired of see that for 4 years in his barn due hold for his neighborhood who want start business then decide drop it then told owner sell that.
    P.s. engine was already rebuilt I can see shiny surface on engine.

8. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Thats funny that you say that, because I have only got him to say yes to one truck so far, a 1985 F-350 dually with a 301, I made a deal with the owner for 1500, but when I told him I couldnt pick it up until Saturday (it was a Monday) he said he might sell it before then, that pissed me of that he would say something like that because there was NOBODY else who was going to buy it. So I told him nevermind, if he had somebody else interested let them have it. Its been there for a few months still. But Im glad I didnt get it because the engine was tiny and not in the best shape.

9. Milwaukee

You mean 351 or 461 in that dually? 301 I never heard but 300 or 302.

My 79 f150 have 300 it 6 incline but have so much power than v8 I swear it have ton torque.

I have idea Have you check ebay on ford dually or gm they go for cheap like 1,000 dollars most was 1985 to 1997 with little rust.

10. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Yes sorry, hit the wrong button, 302, but I dont want anything that big, especially for my first truck. Glad I never boought it.

Besides there was a small oil leak, he said it was the head gasket, but it sure looked like the 4x4. YIKES!!!! That would not have been fun.

11. Milwaukee

302 is actual for small truck. Sound owner kill original engine so put 302 in there.

I am shock that you say 302 in big truck with dually. It must be not great for pull or snowplow.

Have you check for 70's truck like my truck here picture.

[​IMG]

12. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

There is no way that truck is a 3 speed, being a half ton it probably has a standard 5 speed or the 5 speed with a low gear.

Both a fairly high dollar transmissions to repair, and being a 1/2 ton will be geared high. Not my first choice to plow with but I guess it would work for 2 years

13. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I wont be plowing for another two years, and by that time, I hope there will be enough money in the bank to just buy a newer truck and used plow to learn with, and at that price, it wouldnt be hard to replace that $$$ in two years. So for a good driving, hauling stuff truck, what do you think. I would most likely take the topper off right awat.

14. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you cant drive for 2 years then why buy a truck now? Save the money and buy a nice truck when you can drive and plow. Learning to drive a stick and plow with is a clutch needing to be replaced just waiting to happen. JMO

15. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

plowing with a standard sucks, i did it for my first 10 years of plowing with a 1960 cj5. since then i've been plowing with an auto and its much easier on my legs and less to worry about. autos also dampen the shock the driveline takes when you hit an unmoveable object (try not to do that in the first place). sticks offer better control on questionable surfaces if you know how to use them and you can always pop the clutch on a roll with a stick if you stall out and can't restart - but these two advantages are outweighed by the convience of an auto in my opinion. the more driveways you have on your route, the more you appreciate the auto trans. i perfer manual for all vehicles but a plow truck.

16. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

hydro_37, I can drive, just cant get the commercial ins. for 2 years. I probably wont do any plowing with this truck, I just need one for the next two years, before I go buy the nicer plow truck.

17. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

Love the Looks of your Truck,

Looks like it has somewhat of a lift on it?

anyway sweet ride,

enjoy them old ones.

sublime out

18. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

I would think it's an automatic not a 3 speed stick just a typo in the ad don't think they offered a 3 speed manual in'91 just my.02