1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a 3/4 ton

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Scag48, Dec 11, 2000.

1. Scag48

Scag48 Member

Hey guys. Here I go with another one of my questions. I was wanting to know if you could plow with a 3/4 ton truck. I've heard you can't more than I've heard you can and was really curious as to what you guys think about it. In a couple of years I plan to put a plow on my truck, which is a 3/4 ton '82 or '85 (don't remember) GMC Diesel 4X4. I know that I need weight in the back and all of that but would a Boss "8'2 or "8'6 work? I don't know much about the front end or anything, something I would have to ask my dad about but I just wondered about the plowing with a 3/4 ton. Thanks in advance guys.
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Scag that is crazy who said that you can't plow with a 3/4 ton and an old one with leaf springs if it sags just add another to bring it up. That what's nice about the old trucks.You will have no problems i plow with '97 3/4 tonHD diesel and it's great.
  3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Yes you can plow with a 3/4 ton. You could even plow with a pre 97 1/2 ton.

4. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

There are guys in here that plow with Chevy S-10's and you can even plow with a Ranger!!!! Your 3/4 ton is a rugged truck, you could even run a sander in back.
  5. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

Sounds like you've got a beauty truck for plowing. Our '85 Chevy 3/4ton is our best plow truck. Better than our '89's.
    Gotta go pack some supplies...heading out in an hour.
  6. Getmow

Getmow Junior Member

Someone help me, can a 97 Dodge diesel/automatic push. A plow dealer told me no but couldn't tell me why.
  7. RB

RB Senior Member

I plow with a Chev. 3/4 -- go for it! I would rather plow in my 3/4 than my 1 ton dump.
  8. matthew Urban

matthew Urban Senior Member

I plowed 1/2 of last winter in a diesel ram. it was a 1 ton dump, and it did just fine, the only thing we had to do was add a extra spring in the rear to help handle the sander.
    If your's is a dump my only advice would be keep an eye on the rear of the wiring harness, we did have some problems with the snow getting in there and un-doing things.
    good luck
  9. Getmow

Getmow Junior Member

Matt, someone said it had to do with the trans on the 2500. I am going to call the dealer tommorow.
  10. Scag48

Scag48 Member

Hey thanks guys! I was just kind of confused about plowing but I won't start for a couple of years. I guess I've got a great truck for plowing (as told by you guys) so I should tell dad not to sell that truck!LOL. I guess it isn't to early to start thinking when it comes to plowing, am I right? I was also thinking about a spreader but I don't know much about them either but I've got two years so I'm not in a big hurry. In two years I should be ready for the purchasing of a plow and maybe a spreader. Thanks for the replies guys.:)