1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with a 2x4

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John O., Jan 31, 2005.

1. John O.

John O. Member

I sorry because I'm sure this question has been asked before, but i can not find a search option to look it up. My question is i have a 97 Chevy 3500 long bed with extended cab, and duallys and it is a 2 wheel drive truck. I want to know if anyone plows with that type of truck, and if it is OK to plow with this type of truck. Pro and Cons????

2. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

3. skmodmsl

skmodmsl Member

This question has been asked many times. I don't know the numbers of times I've seen two wheeldrive trucks plowing. Yes it can be done, has been done, and will be done time and again.

As far as I know, every Municipality plows public streets with 2WD trucks. Granted they are much larger then our 1/2, 3/4, and one ton units. If you notice, every "Town" truck has a load of sand in the dump bodies.

Years ago my Dad had a 71 Chevy Dump truck. It was a K2500. It had dual rear wheels. It was what I call the 2wd/4wd truck. For some reason the former owner disconnected the transfer case. The truck was rendered to "2wd". Dad used to load that truck with about 2 ton of stone and plow through anything.

I've seen a few 2WD trucks plow snow over the years.

4. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

2wd

It all comes down to weight. Run good tires,the proper size plow for the vehicle and serious weight in the bed and you will be fine! It's always a good idea to keep a bucket of sand and a shovel around.

5. bergys

bergys Junior Member
    from nj

2wd plowin

Yes you could do the plowing as long as you have good tires some weight behind you,but I would be more concerned to make sure the front end has the right set up for a plow or it will be a short lived front end.

6. Wild Lake

Wild Lake Junior Member

"plowing with a 2x4"

I prefer plowing with a treated 2x12 rather than a 2x4! Less snow over the top. :drinkup:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  7. Edgewater

Edgewater Member

Wild lake,

you must have been thinking the same thing I was when I saw the title :jester:

8. Wild Lake

Wild Lake Junior Member

Someone posted pics once of a truck they had passed parked in a driveway with a wood plow in front with a winch to lift it. Pretty funny.

9. Wolfies L&L

Wolfies L&L Member

Hmm when I first read this thread, I thought you were going to plow with a 2x4 piece of wood. :eek: It might work, but could break easily under extreme force.

Jason