1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a 2wd

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Hoss4x4, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Hoss4x4

Hoss4x4 Member
    from FL

I did a search and came up with nothing. I see some of the plow rigs are 2wd. Is this a bad idea? Does anybody do it?
  2. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I think depending on what part of the country you are in, a 2wd would do fine with enough weight over the drive axle. I have seen it done with a duramax/flat bed with a skid of salt on the back of it and would plow the same things im plowing in 4wd. I would definitely suggest to have good traction tires and to stay on top of the game. If you wait until there is a foot of snow to plow, it may be darn near impossible. I think in FLORIDA though, you should be fine with a 2wd:nod:
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I would never try to plow with a 2wd in anything smaller than a 1 ton truck. That being said I again would only do it with plenty of weight over the rear axle, and most likely in tandom with another truck that would be able to pull it out if it got stuck. ( maybe a larger flat lot, that 2 trucks could plow and not be in each others way.)
  4. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

alot of weight and really good tires and dont be stupid its possible but not ideal
  5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Wait, some trucks have 4wd? I thought 4wd was for getting yourself more stuck
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

With you coming back to Buffalo you better have a 4x4 for plowing.
  7. Hoss4x4

Hoss4x4 Member
    from FL

My main plow rig would be 4x4. I have seen pictures of Isuzu's and 1 ton dump trucks with plows. I didn't know how good it would work. Maybe have a plow on one for a back up. Just wondering.
  8. KM81

KM81 Member

We have a 2WD GMC cab over dump truck that we plow with....But it weighs around 14k lbs. lol
  9. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I did the vast majority of my plowing in 2wd. My reasoning behind it was that I would rather have the tires slip than break or twist something up in the driveline.

I rarely had to put the truck in 4wd and that was just with a few hundred pounds in the tailgate spreader.

Like others have said, weight over the axles and really planning out the push are keys to plowing with a 2wd.
  10. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Plow with 2wd 3500HD's all the time. I've got a 10' Meyer on one and a 860HD Blizzard with wings that makes it 10' and it's had an 810 on it as well. Like everyone else said, good tires, and weight in the back. Ours have V-boxes with 2.5+ yds of salt/sand so weight is never an issue. You don't want to be plowing up steep hills but, we have pushed over 5" with them on level lots. When don't fire up the V-boxes until the plowing is done though. They weight is KEY.
  11. miked9372

miked9372 Member
    from MN

12. Hoss4x4

Hoss4x4 Member
    from FL

That is great!
  13. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Personally I would not plow with a 2 wheel drive, your front tires turning in 4 wheel give you a lot of traction and make it easier to control the truck in deep snow , not saying it can't be done but once you use it you ll see how much easier it is.
  14. rick502

rick502 Member
    from Vermont

15. NickT

NickT Senior Member

too frigin funny love the music
  16. rick502

rick502 Member
    from Vermont

Agree with NickT - I've plowed with all kinds of rigs including 2wd 1 tons w chains and plenty of ballast. Even here in VT they will work for some applications, but if you need to manuever in driveways and small lots I think you will regret having 2wd.
  17. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

What did you search for?

I came up with 499 hits.
  18. Hoss4x4

Hoss4x4 Member
    from FL

19. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Come to think of it, I've had problems like this before too. I searched for words like snow for a certain username and nothing came up.

Who knows.
  20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I paid extra for my 4x4 to turn into a 4x2