1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a 2wd diesel dually?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by green frog, Oct 2, 2010.

1. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I know you can with a dump but not sure about this. I have a chance to trade a hot rod for a 1996 gmc dually 2wd that is in pristine shape.
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Ok I will be the first to tell you to use the search button. I will also say that yes it can be done, but you would be a fool to try it if you don't have a towing service on speed dial. Maybe you can get lucky if all of your lots / drives are 100% flat with no hills at all, and you plow with the storm every 1 or 2 at the max, but in reality everyone here knows thats not going to happen, so save your money and make the trade for a 4X4 and call it good.
  3. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

You'll be fine if your smart.
  4. jazzyjeff

jazzyjeff Junior Member
    from Mass

Good tires and lots of weight. Most important dont be stupid with it. Good luck
  5. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

youll be ok just know its limitations.
  6. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

we had had this dicussion before
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

ummmmm.....too many time to count
    keep the hot rod
  8. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Plowed last year in the east coast blizzard in a 2wd f350 dualy , sure it had its limitations , pleanty of weight in the back , I didnt get stuck , I actually pulled out 2 4wd trucks
  9. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

It takes a talented driver but even a 2wd can do 90% of what a 4x4 can do
  10. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

I had a 97 super duty with a 8.6 straight. Sander on the back with some wieght in is it. Worked good on most lots.
  11. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Thanks guys i will wait for a 4x4 and keep the camaro. I did a search but everything came up dually dump truck which weighs a lot more.
  12. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

if you are smart you will have no problems. 99% of my plowing is done in 2 wheel drive. i only put it in 4X4 when i need to pull one of the other trucks out.and this is with an 02 F250 extra cab short bed with no added weight and a myers C-8.5 plow.
    i have the same setup on the 88 superduty pickup conversion, and no added weight to that one either..
  13. dr.lawn21

dr.lawn21 Senior Member

Works just fine.