1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a 2wd 1 ton dump?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Patrk150, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Patrk150

Patrk150 Junior Member

I've bought a 1982 f-350 dump body. It doesn't have a plow on it but I'd like to find an older model to put on her and use the truck for some driveways and small parking lots through the winter.
    Am I wasting my time with 2 wheel drive? I've got some fresh knobby tires all around and the truck seems to be weighted good, not too nose heavy with the six cylinder and 4 speed.

I found an older diamond plow in pretty good shape with all the hardware and wiring.

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i'm taking dump body as chassis cab(duallie)...for the most part you'll be fine. i have a few 1 ton duallies that are 4WD but almost never go in 4wheel, we just don't need it , especially with weight (salters) in the beds. we have used 4WD on steep lots where the guys would get in and not be able to get traction backing up..good luck!!
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You will need to put some weight in the back. We have plowed with 2 trucks like that for 6 years. Just make sure when back blading to not pull so much snow back that you hang up the front end. It is easy to do and easy to get a 4X4 stuck.
  4. jgil629

jgil629 Junior Member

I have a chevy 3500 2wd dump that i never used for snow for that reason..until one of my other trucks sh*t the bed and i had to roll this one out. man, was i surprised. like everyone said, weigh it down nicely in the back and you should be good to go
  5. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

2wd truck plowing

We have been plowing with 2wd trucks since 1994 they are good for parking lot and driveways as longs as they are not gravel
  6. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Advice on the WalMart contracts for everyone

Everyone who has a WalMart account or just lost it to that so called (firm) may want to get in touch with there contact at WalMart you were servicing because, the locations we take care of we still service for they did not recieve written notification from corprate and this firm is just calling each store and telling them they have the contract now and the store its self do not know for sure so they say ok, but the locations we take care of basically said to the (firm) to blank off we are keeping our company. The (firm) I am talking about is the company that everyone is talking about taking over all the WalMarts
  7. TonawandaNY

TonawandaNY Senior Member

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Dump the knobbies and get some real snow tires. Put the weight to her and go.
  9. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

2000# of ballast and have at it. I have a F-350 dually and probably plow 90-95% of the time in 2wd. Not having 4x4 to get you out of tricky situations, you will need to be careful in a few key spots. Don't try to stack really high, I have had to put it in 4x4 to get free before. Also watch hills