1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing with a 2wd 1 ton dump

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clncut, Oct 19, 2011.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

I was wondering if anyone plows with this type of vehicle. Im about to pull the trigger on this dump because of the price and would like to plow with it but Im concerned because of the 2wd. I was figuring on loading up the bed for weight to help compensate for the lack of 4wd. Any thoughts would be great.
  2. inferno13xx

inferno13xx Junior Member

i have a 2008 f450 2wd that i plow with and have only gotten it stuck once just have to use common sense and know your lots.........
  3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Are you going to use it for salt? If so the weight of the salt should be plenty. Only time you will have trouble is with uphill pushes.
  4. Cam.at.Heritage

Cam.at.Heritage Junior Member

We have a 2wd f550 dump body....we just load a large (3x5x3) concrete block in the back and strap it down, never gotten it stuck.
  5. inferno13xx

forgot to mention we load a full pallet of salt in the back of ours...
  6. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

i wouldnt use it for driveways but parking lots or city/town would be fine.
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We used ours for 5 years. The only time we got it stuck was when the drive missed the entrance by 40'. We pushed a 18" snowfall and I couldn't believe how well it did. A good driver is a must.
  8. inferno13xx

amen a driver definitely makes a difference, and i agree lots are best for 2wd not driveways.
  9. shoeman68

shoeman68 Member

Good driver,good driver,good driver. This truck never got stuck. Then,bad driver. 057.jpg

10. clncut

Thanks for all the responses. I currently use a tailgate spreader on my f250 so I will probably be just adding weight to the back of the dump. The truck is a 1996 3500HD 1 ton. I cant seem to find a plow when doing the quick match for this vehicle. Any recommendations? I would like to possible get a Western MVP.
  11. clncut

40'....holy moly!!! :eek:
  12. clncut

I'm meeting the owners tomorrow and i was wondering what you guys would pay....ill try to get some pictures up tomorrow but for now ill try to describe it best i can.....1996 Chevy 3500hd, 2wd, 454 v8, 29,000 original miles. Interior is clean, no rips in the seats, good tread left on the tires, no puddles from leaky fluids from what i can see...although the oil pan did look wet, dump box had no holes and no major damage noted other than a dent in the top of the tailgate. It looks like someone misjudged distance when loading. The current owner used it for personal reasons and nothing commercial. Just curious what you guys would consider paying. This will be my first dump truck. Thanks
  13. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

5k maybe......I've seen them for 9 with plow sander and 4x4 on here. There's a real clean one on here if your looking. For something set up.
  14. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

I've the a '94 3500HD and a '95 3500HD we plow with both of them and have a 2.0 yard sander w/10" sides in the back of both. I've plowed with an 860HD Blizzard w/wings or a Blizzard 810 on one. The other has a 8' Meyer that we extended to 9'.5. Never an issue on level lots.

Make sure you have good rubber on the back, and a driver that doesn't have a lead foot. The weight in the back is a big key to making it work, without it, the rearend will be all over the place and you won't get far once you drop the blade.
  15. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

In our isuzu the right driver could make it work. in icy conditions it was scary! Especially when just out of fear you have to hold the plow controller in one hand just incase the truck doesnt stop going downhill....

But yeah we had a boss sport duty 7'6" on it We divided the bed also. We put about 500+ pounds of bagged salt in the top end of the bed. placed a divider in, then put all the bulk in the back for our spreader.
    Worked good on light snow falls. And in heavy snow falls the right driver can deal with it. You just gotta keep going!!!!!!!!!!!!! and take small passes. (we do subdivisions and stuff like that) So i would have the bigger trucks go in then have the isuzu go in and clean things up...
  16. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I've had no problems to really speak of with my C3500HD.

Even with the 12" blizzard we had, it still rocked. Even do some smaller/tighter lots with it.

Good tires and weight is the key.

17. bsmitty

bsmitty Member
    from Chicago

I have a 2000 GMC 3500HD 2WD and does great. Just add weight like everyone says and have a smart driver in it!! You will be fine.

18. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Is the dent in the center of the tailgate? If so it is the classic raise the dump bed with tailgate down, and it hits the hitch. Have seen countless dumps with this dent. :laughing:
  19. clncut

Lol....as a matter of fact it is. Looked at it this morning and took a friend who is a mechanic. Ran good, everything seems solid and my friend gave his ok....I'm thinking of offering 7k.
  20. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

If its super clean $7k isn't toooooo bad. There's one on CL here in Detroit, and from pics it looks really clean. They're asking $4800.