1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a 2006 F-150

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rydzewski, Nov 22, 2008.

1. rydzewski

rydzewski Member

Good evening,

I have worked for a landscaper doing plowing for the last 4 years.

I bought a ford f-150 XLT supercab 6.5 box last october and I am planning on doing my own residential driveways for the 09 snow season. I am wondering if my truck will work with a western pro plow or if i should just bite the bullett and buy a 09 F-250.

lets hear it!

- ben
  2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

The F-150 can handle a 7.5' plow nothing bigger, so if you want to put a bigger plow on you should get a 3/4 ton.
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

For 1 driveway you need an F350 or bigger to plow with
  4. rydzewski

rydzewski Member

would you recommend doing anything to the front end before mounting a plow? also for the longrun would the truck take more repairs then a bigger 250?
  5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Of coarse it will need more work then normal......It's not really meant for commercial plowing. I learned how to change out ball joints on my old 97 F - 150 faster then my brother who is a ASE certified FORD tech for the last 17 years.

Good truck, It just couldn't handle plowing. It's one thing if your doing your own driveway and maybe a relative or two, but not to go out and make money with. Especially with a 7.5plow being it's max. :eek:

Go with the 3/4 ton, you'll thank yourself for it. :nod:

Welcome to Plowsite! :waving:
  6. rydzewski

rydzewski Member

i think im going to go with the 250. bigger the truck the better in my book! thank you for the reply
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get at leas an 8' plow on a 3/4 ton. Sno-Way makes a great plow with the Down Pressure feature.
  8. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

New truck, new plow = big payments or a large layout of cash. Either way you won't make any money plowing a few driveways. With that outlay of cash you will need a decent route just to recoup the money you laid out for the equipment.