1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a 2003 chevy 1500 silverado

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ezjarecki, Nov 21, 2008.

1. ezjarecki

ezjarecki Junior Member
    from omaha

Hi i was curious if this truck will do the job for having a western plow on it? it is a 2003 chevy silverado 4x4 with the 5.3 litre engine in it.. thanks

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Are you buying this truck or do you own this truck already? The half ton trucks will work thats all i use, however if you plane on using it like a 3/4 ton then look for a 3/4 ton truck.

3. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

It will work fine just like the post before me said use it like a 1500 and not a 3/4 ton. You put a western or a meyer or plow like that on it you will definately know it is on the truck.

RCGM
    Brad

4. ezjarecki

ezjarecki Junior Member
    from omaha

yes i already own the truck but havnt put the plow on yet! its mainly guna be for driveways and some smaller sub work like parking lots!!

5. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I have the same truck but with a 4.8L I am looking at getting a plow maybe just a meyer st7.5

6. dr_destructo

dr_destructo Member
    from Indiana

I plowed for 2 years with a 2001 Chevy 1500. I had a Meyer 7.5 straight plow and it worked fine. I sold it and got a 3/4 Dodge with the same plow. It definately handles it better. I now have a f-250 with a western 8.5 Steel MVP. I added airbags to the front too. If you are carrying any salt in the back a 3/4 ton will work alot better. It seemed to be hard on the front end of the 1/2 ton.

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Get a 7.5' plow. You should look into Boss plows if they sell them in your area.

8. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

ezjarecki-I have heard of alot of people putting Boss's on half tons so you might want to look into that, there is only 1 boss dealer in my area so I really don't want one

I am between meyer and the newer snow doggs anyone have an opinion on those.

9. famouslee99gt

famouslee99gt Member

I have a '99 1500 Z71 that I have plowed with for the past two years. The first two years I had a Meyer ST7.5 and I just recently bought a Boss 7.5 SuperDuty blade.

The Boss dealer approved a Super Duty since my truck was the extended cab, meaning it had the heavier axle, and also recommended that I crank up my torsion bars and add Timbrens (which I had done the prior year).

My truck handled the weight of the plow a lot better once I put a set of Timbrens on.