1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a 2002 F-150 V8 4.6L 4x4

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 2002F150, Nov 11, 2013.

1. 2002F150

2002F150 Member

Would you recommend plowing with this truck, I got a great deal on a Fish 7.5 and this will be my first year plowing a few driveway nothing to crazy.

Just wondering if the suspension will hold up.. any mods should i do.. I am thinking about throwing this on there..

http://www.roughcountry.com/ford-suspension-lift-kit-474-20.html

any other suggestion welcome, even the recommendation of not Plowing with the truck is welcome.

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You put ballast weight in the back of the bed to counteract the plow weight in the front. The engine of that truck maybe a big drawback. Not a lot of power on the low end. A place, plow trucks work. Especially driveway work. Low and slow but you need the beef to push the load. Working the engine that hard may kill it after one season.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  3. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

will give the same advice i'll give to the guy asking about using a chevy 1500 in the other thread. if you take things easy, and not get carried away pummeling the truck, it should survive doing a few driveways. unfortunately, the days of 1/2 tons driving around plowing for years and years have come and gone. you used to see lots of half tons with "real" 8 foot plows all the time, less and less now. The gap between 1/2 ton trucks and "work trucks" is getting wider and wider.

Like Micki said, the truck will be seriously working. dont expect many years of duty.

4. jeffcof150

jeffcof150 Junior Member

I plowed 3 years with my 03 f150 4.6. I never had an issue with it. It was my lawn care truck also in warm months. Ran a 7' boss poly with 2500lbs of salt in bed. Truck had 140xxx miles when I traded it in. Plowed parking lots and a few residential streets. I live near St. Louis. Couple events a month. We had a record snow in march last year. Truck ran about 30 hours straight. Not a single hiccup from it. I loved my 1/2 ton. Mine had plenty of power for what I was doing. I not saying its the perfect plow truck, but it definitely got the job done. If your gonna do it I recommend at least 8 ply tires and good charging system. only traded it in cause I got bigger accounts and found a smoking deal on a new truck If I kept it I was going to put on helper springs in rear or rebuild the leafs with an extra leaf for extra support for salt and lawn trailer.
    P.s. the guy I bought the poly plow from ran it on a ranger for 2 years!

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A half ton are built lighter then 3/4 and 1 ton's. You tend to break front axle parts and wear brakes faster. Shocks and springs get tired faster. A buddy of mine does cement.( His nick name is Tear a sunder, good story there! ) He hauls broken up cement all summer. Then plows all winter with the same trucks. By the next fall the truck is done!