1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with a 2001 Ford F550- 11" dump- 2 wheel drive?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Shop's Lawn, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Shop's Lawn

Shop's Lawn Senior Member

I'm looking to buy a 2001 ford f550 with a 11" dump box. The truck is 2 wheel drive.
    I have a extra fisher 9'6 v-plow I'm thinking to put on this truck.

I'm wondering how you guys like plowing with your 2 wheel drive F550 or similar dump trucks?
    Do you guys have a hard time plowing in 2 wheel? The trucks are pretty heavy and with adding some weight in the back i'm thinking it will be fine but wanted to get the real thought from you guys that are using them now.

Is it worth having/plowing with or should I keep looking for a 4x4 f550?

2. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

4x4 is always a plus. But you should be fine if you have lots of weight in the back. I plowed in my dodge 4 years ago all winter with no 4x4. This is the pic section btw
  3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

are you plowing commercial or residential? i think youll be fine in commercial but i would look for a 4x4 if you plan on doing residential with it.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

An 11" dump?
  5. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

i have a 2wd wrecker that has a western pro 8.6 and it does good just want to watch if you go in to a pile of snow so it don't go over the top of the plow other than that you should be fineussmileyflag
  6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

If you already owned the truck I would say mount a plow on it and start plowing, but I wouldn't buy a non 4x4 with the intention of plowing with it.
  7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

its not fun, but you can do it, forget about hills, pushing piles and climbing curbs. when the 2 yard salter is full traction is ok, but by the time its nearing empty I would have to put it in 4wh to maintain safe traction and stopping power.
  8. Shop's Lawn

yea it has a 11' J-craft dump box. I'm looking to buy it the truck. It would be the commerical lot plowing truck since the plow is so wide also.
    Its a 2001 f-550- 60,000 miles- Really good shape- the guy is asking 13,500 for it. Seems like a good price dont you think?
  9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Seems like alot of truck for $13k. What engine does it have?
  11. Shop's Lawn

it has the 7.3 diesel- Yea it seems like a really nice truck- no rust or dents at all in it! Be sweet if it was 4x4. I'm just not sure if I want to take the chance of it not working out for plowing.
  12. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

take a good look at the oil pan thay are not fun to replace or cheap