1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing With a 2000 7.3

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by riversMontana, Aug 7, 2016.

1. riversMontana

riversMontana Junior Member

I recently purchased a 2000 7.3 supercab short box F250 with 160,000 miles on it. Been a great truck so far this summer. Now I'm starting to think about the winter. Last season I ran a 2006 F250 crew cab longbox with the 5.4 Gas. Realized I made a mistake with the length my first plow event ( got rushed into the truck and plow last minute) truck had no problem plowing with my bran new Snoway 29r. Turning radius was a PITA. Hence the new truck. Anyway the 7.3 is stock. Want to know what people would recommend for upgrades for plowing? Different springs in the front? Extra fan? Thanks,

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What are you putting on it for a plow?
    What type of plowing will it see, drives or lots, or a combination of both?

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

The X code springs would be nice,
    Make sure the glow plug system is working properly. Double check the fuel filter heater as well.
    No need for a fan, they run cool enough.
    How's the front end?
    Batterys good?

4. riversMontana

Fuel filter and oil will be changed for sure before the snow flies regardless of where I am in my interval. ( roommate is a diesel mechanic) new glow plugs last winter according to previous owner with paper work.
    Haven't had the front end Checked out yet but I think I will have to do ball joints.

Batteries are great glad I will have two as I could tell the plow put a huge strain on the one in the gas pickup.

X code springs? What are they have you used fhem? Just have shocks in the front currently. Have you plowed with a 7.3?
    Thanks for the input!

5. riversMontana

I have a new Snoway 29 R with hydroylic wings. I do a few drives but mostly smaller lots. Plan to grow even more this year and would like to pick up more lots

Thanks

6. dieselss

Effect_20160807_152543.jpg Effect_20160807_152658.jpg How many leafs are there 2 or 3?
    And you have to have springs, shocks just dampen the rebound of the dip so to speak.
    What does your door code say for the front GVWR?

7. riversMontana

2 leafs
    Front gawr is 4800

8. dieselss

You can do it with the 2 springs, however I'd personally look at getting the heavier springs.
    Diesel weighs alot, plow and components weight alot, you'd be really close to your max gawr. Cheap insurance, piece of mind.

9. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Listen to what you have been told. I have a 02 F350 with a 7.3. It does fine. I have broken both front springs. But I was grossing around 11,000 lbs.

10. dieselss

The Salter goes in the back, not the front.......bet it was hard to see too

shawn_ likes this.
  11. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Short wheelbase, enclosed utility body. I could not get another thing in there if I tried. Of course when the spring snapped, it was snowing and I just put the plow on. Felt like one of my last minute customers.

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Don't do used springs.

They aren't that expensive.

13. riversMontana

Add springs or get coil over shocks? My 06 5.4 had the camper package and had coil overs

14. 1olddogtwo

06 had coils, but not over unless someone added them.

Camper package add rear sway bar, overload leaves and certification for the most part.

15. 1olddogtwo

Welcome to plowsite by the way.

16. cbservicesllc

cbservicesllc PlowSite Fanatic

The ball joints are pretty much a slam dunk...

17. dieselss

Either buy the springs from Ford or aftermarket.
    Coil overs might do it, but it's kinda a bandaid. With the heavier leaf springs your front end will sit up higher as well.
    Downfall, it'll ride ruff. But it's a truck not a caddy so who cares..

18. jdsquire

jdsquire Member

I've got a '99 SD with the 5.4 and 5200lb front end. Previous owner added AirLift air bags, very nice addition with the 8' 6" Meyer Poly blade hanging on the front.

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

New springs as suggested or airbags.

That age and that many miles I'd replace them.

What's the oil pan look like? Oil cooler?

Listen to dieselss. so far he's been dead on.

Yes. I've plowed with one or 4. Not that it really matters.

20. 1olddogtwo

Not a fan of air bags in the front for a plow.

Too many variables unless it's done right.